Bragging Rights Thread: Great Coffee Gear Scores! - Page 35

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Alan Frew

#341: Post by Alan Frew » Dec 20, 2018, 6:13 am

I was out for my daily walk with my wife yesterday afternoon, and spotted this machine discarded for a kerbside rubbish pick up. It's a Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo, circa 2003. Zipped back with the car about an hour later and grabbed it. It was missing portafilters & baskets but that's obviously no downside for me.

Today I cleaned it up, removing a Redback Spider nest (they like warm, dry conditions) and a heap of accumulated debris. It must have been stored in an open carport. A quick check with the multimeter and it was clear that the ULKA pump (original) had expired. One new pump and standard 8mm group gasket later, followed by an extensive backflush, and it was in "Shot Pulling" condition.

This machine is a relatively sophisticated (for the time) SBDU model, with a "relay" type thermostat control and a boiler pressure gauge as well as the Vibiemme version of the E-61 group. I'll replace the 3 cam and washer sets in the group in the next couple of weeks, because based on the gasket they're also from 2003, but that will be the only "extra" expense. Otherwise it's free machine + parts bin + a couple of hours. Score!!

Alan
★ Helpful

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#342: Post by JohnB. » Dec 20, 2018, 3:57 pm

Excellent score! Nothing more exotic then an old Mr. Coffee in the trash around here.
LMWDP 267

Appartmento61

#343: Post by Appartmento61 » Dec 24, 2018, 1:37 am

Like new Rocket Appartemento for 900$
Not " found on the street " score but I'm happy

550$ atom in chrome a few weeks later
I'm set

Coming from Pavoni lever then semi auto solis (rip) then Breville .. and a faithful Rocky for many years
So a step up

IamOiman

#344: Post by IamOiman » Feb 02, 2019, 1:46 pm

I scored a Gaggia Tell 2 Group for 175 Euro! This will be my first restoration machine and I am very excited to begin when I move back this summer! It's missing the drip tray but that is something I can probably replace more easily than say a boiler!

-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

eltakeiteasy

#345: Post by eltakeiteasy » Feb 17, 2019, 1:28 am

zombiecoffee wrote:I bought this Java Master Fluid Roaster from the Whole Foods I worked at in Denver.
They got rid of the in house roasting program and sold it to me for $400.
They retail at $15,000 now. This is picture is similar to mine except my copper is not shiny.
<image>
Hey I hope all is well. I was curious about how this machine is working for you? I found a similar deal and was thinking about buying one.

TomC
Team HB

#346: Post by TomC » replying to eltakeiteasy » Feb 17, 2019, 3:20 am

Try messaging him directly, he hasn't been on the forum for almost 4 months.

eltakeiteasy

#347: Post by eltakeiteasy » replying to TomC » Feb 18, 2019, 12:35 am

I did both. Thanks, Tom.

jevenator

#348: Post by jevenator » Feb 18, 2019, 3:30 am

I'm glad to see that people are getting deals out there. I'm new to this forum and I joined because I got a Crossland CC1 v1.5 for $350 that is in very mint condition. Now doing all the research possible to make quality home espresso.
No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good.
― C.S. Lewis

IamOiman

#349: Post by IamOiman » Jun 11, 2019, 10:37 am

I thought I was mostly done with coffee stuff but today I found a pretty sweet deal. I got a working Quickmill Omre for €60 at the Avellino Mercatino! It is missing the portafilter lock, a rubber foot, and the plastic tamper while having a cracked glass hopper, but it's pretty sweet.

-Ryan
I'll throw my portafilter in the ring
LMWDP #612

Lateralus

#350: Post by Lateralus » Jun 12, 2019, 1:10 pm

IamOiman wrote:I thought I was mostly done with coffee stuff but today I found a pretty sweet deal. I got a working Quickmill Omre for €60 at the Avellino Mercatino! It is missing the portafilter lock, a rubber foot, and the plastic tamper while having a cracked glass hopper, but it's pretty sweet.

<image>
<image>
I absolutely love the retro look of this!