Bragging Rights Thread: Great Coffee Gear Scores! - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Chert

Postby Chert » Jul 15, 2012, 7:06 pm

It doesn't compare to that Ditting as a Great Score, but my wife bought me a Zassenhaus grinder essentially new for $3 at a garage sale.

Other than being given a 2 group Astoria type lever to restore, the Zassie delivers my best right to brag. :D

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

Postby JohnB. » Jul 15, 2012, 7:34 pm

TomC wrote:The burrs are the original ones, cast, not machined. I wondered if the newer machined and magnatized ( screwless) burrs would work in this grinder.

If yours are held in by screws you'd have to order the machined version of the same burr which is what I installed in my Bunn. Same burr as the magnetized version but with screw holes.
LMWDP 267

LaDan

Postby LaDan » replying to JohnB. » Jul 15, 2012, 10:10 pm

Wait, what?? Ditting burrs and Bunn's are the same??

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Jul 15, 2012, 11:38 pm

No, John build a Bunnzilla (see the name in his gear list)

It's a G series retrofitted to hold Ditting burrs. Best of both worlds. I will miss the non popcorning horizontal design and auger of the G1, but the Ditting has 10x better grind consistency and quality.

My burrs have the two screws. I don't have a need for new burrs, these are hardly used. Maybe I'll put up some close up shots of the grind quality. It's mind blowing.

dustin360

Postby dustin360 » Jul 16, 2012, 12:25 am

TomC wrote:Of course! He lugged that thing for nearly a mile, it weighs a bit over 50 pounds!

It was definitely over a mile. Im pretty sure it was closer to two miles. But worth the hassle for sure!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

Postby JohnB. » Jul 16, 2012, 8:21 am

TomC wrote: I will miss the non popcorning horizontal design and auger of the G1, but the Ditting has 10x better grind consistency and quality.

I'm surprised you are seeing such a big difference since the Bunn & Ditting cast burrs are almost identical except for the spacer on the Bunn. Maybe the Bunn burrs needed more coffee run through to break in. The G1 was new wasn't it? The Ditting machined burrs weren't great right out of the box but after grinding about 15lbs they improved dramatically.

Mark Prince wrote about swapping the cast 804 burrs for machined burrs here:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/428927
LMWDP 267

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Jul 16, 2012, 9:36 am

I got my used Bezzera BZ02S nearly for free. The seller had the shipping company package it and it was dropped on its head and damaged during shipping - thankfully I had it insured! I had to torque the frame back into place so now the side panels don't fit perfectly...but I'm not complaining :D That insurance was the best $5 I've ever spent!
Ryan

Bob_M

Postby Bob_M » Jul 16, 2012, 3:47 pm

I inherited a 1983 Elektra MCAL from an aunt who bought it from Williams Sonoma to be used as a decorative piece for her parlor. The mcal needed some work so after a quick trip to Stephano's I was off on my coffee journey.

HB
Admin

Postby HB » Jul 18, 2012, 6:44 am

JohnB. wrote:I'm surprised you are seeing such a big difference since the Bunn & Ditting cast burrs are almost identical except for the spacer on the Bunn.

Follow-on discussion split to Ditting vs Bunn Grinders.
Dan Kehn

fredfal

Postby fredfal » Jul 18, 2012, 8:13 am

Fun topic.

Not the greatest deal in the history of the world, but it appears to be better than most folks' experience when buying a used Linea.

Got a 1-group Linea manufactured in 2007 (so welded group) from a guy with a failed coffeeshop on Craigslist for $3k.

Condition was immaculate. Some cleaning was required, but zero rebuild/restore was needed. Added a PID kit from espressoparts (I had Counter Culture do the installation), added the Piero cap myself and now I have my dream machine for less than $4000.

The guy was selling the Linea and two Majors listed for $4200. I had no interest in the grinders, as I already had a K-10. I showed up with a handful of cash which is what I think sealed the deal.
-Fred