Bought But Never Used - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
MerleApAmber

#21: Post by MerleApAmber »

@emradguy ...toward your 8-liter ion-exchange conditioner; better you haven't used it. If your native water quality is anything like 'normal,' replacing the resin on a regular basis would have had you pulling hair and confronting the good money after bad conundrum.

Someone with a scientific laboratory needing high purity water might find your offer to sell incredibly useful.

(I used to work as a Navy Health Physicist. :) )

jgood

#22: Post by jgood »

caffeinatedjen wrote:I can't use my steamy wanda either, because for some reason the tip on my steam wand doesn't come off.
Usually the wand assembly has a nut you can loosen at the swivel just below the steam valve knob. I would take the whole arm off and soak the tip area for a few days. Alternately replacement arms are available at Chris Coffee and the like.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Sideshow

#23: Post by Sideshow »

yakster wrote:I'm surprised single baskets haven't been mentioned
Um, check out post #4 ;)

yakster
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by yakster »

Thanks, I must have missed that because I was surprised that single baskets weren't mentioned.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mchrist

#25: Post by mchrist »

Also in the "Steamy Wanda" Camp. I am certain I will find a use for it somewhere, but probably not coffee-related.

BaristaBoy E61 (original poster)

#26: Post by BaristaBoy E61 (original poster) » replying to mchrist »

Me Too!
Going on 7-years - Still waiting...
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by Peppersass »

Like JohnB, I don't have any coffee gear that I haven't used, but I have quite a few things I used once, twice or a few times, found lacking and haven't used since:

- Steam cleaning wand (how many of us fell for this????)
- Steam thermometers
- A handful of steam tips
- Many milk pitchers, various popular brands
- Many tampers, various popular brands
- Filtron cold brewer (immersion type)
- Aeropress
- LaCafetiene french press (I hate french press...)
- Triple baskets
- LM OEM baskets (the old ones, not the precision type)
- Scottie Callaghan leveling tool set (got it free with something else)
- Yama stove-top vac pot
- Paper filters, cloth filters and glass rods for burner-style Yama vac pot
- A couple of WDT tools
- Clever dripper
- V60 (settled on Kalita Wave)
- LWW Blind Shaker

I also have a lot of stuff I used for a while, then retired or haven't used in a long time:

- Set of cupping glasses and spoon (will be gearing up to use when new roaster arrives)
- Many baskets (hardly ever use my double baskets anymore)
- A few funnels
- Cheap grooming tool from Amazon
- LM BT Wedge given to me as a Gift (only used for doubles, which I hardly make anymore)
- Cafelat tamping stand
- Dosing trays
- Moka pot
- Yama Vac pot with Akira burner and Diguo filter (hope to get back to using this)

As the above lists suggest, I drink singles almost exclusively. I drank doubles for years, so my LM OEM single baskets and one VST 7g basket given to me sat unused for a long time. I'm glad I didn't throw them out (well, the LM single baskets are trash, but I use the VST 7g basket alternately with an IMS 7g basket.)

I don't use my VST refractometer and Scace Thermofilter (modified to do pressure) very often. I go through bursts of using them, which I think is proper for home use of those instruments. I generally use them for testing and troubleshooting. I also use the refractometer for nailing down grind and recipes for brew, with which I'm not as familiar as I am with espresso.

I confess to having spent far too much money on coffee gear that I don't use or don't use much... :(

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
TomC
Team HB

#28: Post by TomC »

I bought a Lollobrigida. Haven't used the damn thing once.

emradguy
Supporter ❤

#29: Post by emradguy »

MerleApAmber wrote:@emradguy ...toward your 8-liter ion-exchange conditioner; better you haven't used it. If your native water quality is anything like 'normal,' replacing the resin on a regular basis would have had you pulling hair and confronting the good money after bad conundrum.

Someone with a scientific laboratory needing high purity water might find your offer to sell incredibly useful.

(I used to work as a Navy Health Physicist. :) )
Thanks, Merle! Maybe I ought to put it up on the BST board?

wachuko

#30: Post by wachuko »

I bought my Rocket used... came with no portafilters. I bought two Decent portafilters, one bottomless and one double.

Then I wanted to get a Rocket portafilter to have an original portafilter for the machine. Got a single portafilter for it.

The double from Decent and the single from Rocket have never been used... I always go for the bottomless portafilter when using that machine...

Outside of the glass cups my wife got me (I do not like drinking from glass, prefer drinking from a ceramic cup) everything else seems to be put to good use...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654