Bottomless portafilter still worthwhile for experienced barista?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
slipchuck

#1: Post by slipchuck »

I am getting a new espresso machine and after using a bottomless for 4 years would you still invest in another one? (The present one would be too small for the new one)
I know the rules in and out and know what causes spraying (I don't throw away a shot because of spraying)
Would I just be wasting my money?
Has the benefits of having one gone?

Any and all opinions are welcome!

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

bettysnephew

#2: Post by bettysnephew »

Since you are changing to a machine with a different sized portafilter, I believe it would be to your advantage to have one that fits the new device. The size change will likely have a pronounced effect on your shots. And besides how else will you get pictures of the stripes on your shot while being pulled? :D
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

I like the bottomless portafilter because there's less clean-up involved.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

randomorbit

#4: Post by randomorbit »

I like the bottomless primarily because I like to watch. It's nice to see the striping and formation of the funnel, but I do think it is beneficial to be able to keep tabs on what's happening.

My last bottomless cost ~$70, and I might not have bought a new one for my latest machine right away if I hadn't found one for $15, but for that price it was an easy choice. What is your new machine?

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

I restarted with a bottomless after a two year pause. Turns out my skills did not disappear. So I doubt that once you're in the groove, the skills go away.
Jim Schulman

slipchuck (original poster)

#6: Post by slipchuck (original poster) »

randomorbit wrote:I like the bottomless primarily because I like to watch. It's nice to see the striping and formation of the funnel, but I do think it is beneficial to be able to keep tabs on what's happening.

My last bottomless cost ~$70, and I might not have bought a new one for my latest machine right away if I hadn't found one for $15, but for that price it was an easy choice. What is your new machine?
Will be getting a pro 500 as soon as my insurance settlement comes in. And of course when there is a good deal:)

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

turbo290

#7: Post by turbo290 »

I'm with yakster. It's easier to keep clean.

randomorbit

#8: Post by randomorbit »

slipchuck wrote:Will be getting a pro 500 as soon as my insurance settlement comes in. And of course when there is a good deal:)

Randy
That's an E61 group right?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

SonVolt

#9: Post by SonVolt »

yakster wrote:I like the bottomless portafilter because there's less clean-up involved.
But the mess it makes to the machine negates any clean up you save on the portafilter.

sluflyer06

#10: Post by sluflyer06 »

Spouted drips all over the counter, I find them infuriating for this reason which is a shame because I like the look of pulling shots with them