Bottomless portafilter still worthwhile for experienced barista? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
slybarman

#11: Post by slybarman »

I recently tried to go back to a spouted filter after using a bottomless for the last 4 years or so. After 1 shot, I went back to the bottomless. I like seeing how the shot progresses and it is so much easier with the bottomless. Also it is easier to tamp with and to clean.

shanewiebeftr

#12: Post by shanewiebeftr »

I use a bottomless everyday. I like to keep tabs on things I guess and it doesn't drip everywhere. I bought my pro 500 from I drink coffee and then used the loyalty points to pick up a portafilter and a few other goodies for free.

BaristaBoy E61

#13: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

SonVolt wrote:But the mess it makes to the machine negates any clean up you save on the portafilter.

My experience has been that with proper prep & distribution techniques there is no mess.
I highly recommend a doser distribution tool and a properly sized tamper for the baskets being used.

Fresh beans are a must of course.

YMMV
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

DaveC

#14: Post by DaveC »

yakster wrote:I like the bottomless portafilter because there's less clean-up involved.
I agree, much less clean up, less in contact with the coffee, because after the first shot in a standard portafilter you have stale coffee oils for the next shot. With a bottomless, you can completely clean it after your shot. Unless I have to use a double spout for some reason (testing a machine etc.), I always use a bottomless.

Oh someone mentioned spouted is less mess...well if your getting mess with a bottomless, then you're doing something wrong. Some people prefer to take the blue pill use a spouted portafilter and think everything is OK.

SonVolt

#15: Post by SonVolt »

Even with beautiful bottomless shots, I still get errant drops of coffee on the front of the machine after a session.

Spitz.me

#16: Post by Spitz.me »

I've tried going back to spouts and find the cleanup between shots to be annoying. My machine isn't beside a sink and I also don't want to have to go through more water from the machine. I also find spouts to be difficult to manage with my machine especially when I want to use larger cups. So, as much as I want to use my really nice LM portafilter with the sexy spout, I just can't ignore how much easier it is to just have a chopped PF to deal with.
LMWDP #670

slipchuck (original poster)

#17: Post by slipchuck (original poster) »

randomorbit wrote:That's an E61 group right?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Great price but doesn't ship to Canada

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

slipchuck (original poster)

#18: Post by slipchuck (original poster) »

shanewiebeftr wrote:I use a bottomless everyday. I like to keep tabs on things I guess and it doesn't drip everywhere. I bought my pro 500 from I drink coffee and then used the loyalty points to pick up a portafilter and a few other goodies for free.
I forgot about their points
Thanks for reminding me

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

SonVolt

#19: Post by SonVolt »

Spitz.me wrote:I've tried going back to spouts and find the cleanup between shots to be annoying. My machine isn't beside a sink and I also don't want to have to go through more water from the machine. I also find spouts to be difficult to manage with my machine especially when I want to use larger cups. So, as much as I want to use my really nice LM portafilter with the sexy spout, I just can't ignore how much easier it is to just have a chopped PF to deal with.
I'm in the same boat as you without a sink next to the machine. I use a steam table insert full of hot water - super handy to dunk the portafilter in for a quick cleaning between shots.

Since steam table pans are all stand sizes, it stacks perfectly underneath my knockbox pan when not in use.

randomorbit

#20: Post by randomorbit »

slipchuck wrote:Great price but doesn't ship to Canada

Randy
Nuts! But I noted the vendor JoeFrex is out of Traverse City Michigan, and that's actually where my order shipped from. Maybe try contacting them directly to see if they will ship to Ontario? http://www.joefrex.com

They could practically just tape it to a little hand carved wooden native american in a canoe and float it across the lake there might be an extra charge for that delivery option though...