Bob 16g basket

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
salmotrutta

#1: Post by salmotrutta »

I've been a long time user of the espressoparts HQ 18g basket, but as many have noted it holds a lot more than 18g and I began to tire of the sloppy pucks.

I wanted a 16g basket so I could pull 1:2 shots in the 30g ballpark, or run a little longer for light roasts. I'm cheap so took a flyer on the BIT "bob" basket for only $15, which is distinguished by its convex shape and lack of holes on the sides. It's supposed to produce sweeter shots and allow coarser grinding.

After a few months of use, jury is still out on whether the shots are sweeter but I do like the basket. Rather than allowing a coarser grind, I find it flows faster. Most of all, I like the capacity and the price point.

Splatcat

#2: Post by Splatcat »

I got the Bob 21 gram and dose 18. I love this basket.

salmotrutta (original poster)

#3: Post by salmotrutta (original poster) »

You find it runs fast?

Splatcat

#4: Post by Splatcat »

No. But I am getting much better tasting shots with loads more mouth feel and body. I switched from a 21g VST and the difference was noticeable immediately.

coyote-1

#5: Post by coyote-1 »

Sooo... if one were to take an existing basket, and gently tap it into a slightly convex bottom and then add a thin steel ring that blocks the outer holes, one could approximate this. Right?

salmotrutta (original poster)

#6: Post by salmotrutta (original poster) »

I don't know what you're up to but just buy it, it's 15 bucks