Blind Shaker Bloopers

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
LVD

#1: Post by LVD »

So has anyone else sent ground coffee flying all over their kitchen, or is it just me? Feel free to share a picture :)

Chert

#2: Post by Chert »

No, but once the grounds arrived level in the portafilter. I guess that ineptitude is a different type of clumsy.
LMWDP #198

Pigeontree

#3: Post by Pigeontree »

Was this you? If not, you're not alone!

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

Not shaking but a couple of months ago I ground a dose in a hotel room with my travel hand grinder without the catch cup. I was walking around the room obviously raining grounds all over the carpet.

A couple of weeks ago I was opening one of those fancy bags with the pull tab and built in ziplock. The pull tab was stuck and I tried to help it with a knife. Next thing I knew the bag tore open spilling most of the 500g on the kitchen floor.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

I hope you'll forgive another non-shaker blooper, but this is one I've made more than once. On days I go into the office, I fill up my Presse brew travel mug with coffee from the pot I make for the family in the morning and I bring 17.5 grams of coffee in a one ounce reusable salad dressing cup for my afternoon cup.

In the afternoon, I bring the mug into the break room and wash it out, the blooper comes in when I'm shaking out the water in the mug, sometimes I'll do it after I've put the coffee in dumping the coffee in the sink and ruining my chance of having another cup of coffee. It seems to happen more often when other people are in the break room making me feel self conscious about possibly being in the way.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

JordanK
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JordanK »

jpender wrote:Not shaking but a couple of months ago I ground a dose in a hotel room with my travel hand grinder without the catch cup. I was walking around the room obviously raining grounds all over the carpet.
LMAO imagining that. :lol: :lol:
Somehow it is even better envisioning it if you're just in socks and undies. :roll:
Haven't had the pleasure yet, but those are totally things I would do myself...

LVD (original poster)

#7: Post by LVD (original poster) »

Nope, but the results were similar! I wish I took a picture, but at the time I was more irritated than anything else.

Sp0ke

#8: Post by Sp0ke »

it happened to me yesterday lol while I was holding it tight , somehow bottom moved and coffee grounds everywhere.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Milligan »

My call to fame is fat-fingering the dosing tray and spilling beans all over the place. Once the grinds are safely in the dosing cup I tend to be okay. My big nemesis seems to be water. Usually once every two weeks or so I forget to dump the filter wash water from my V60 carafe before brewing. Then there was the time my wife mistook the Fellow Ode for her Moccamaster's water reservoir... :|

kye

#10: Post by kye »

I've made several rather messy mistakes recently experimenting with the MHW one.
I'm currently wondering if a custom lid for my dosing cup might be a good solution - if it had a spike or three pointing down into the cup then those would break up and mix the grind when it was being shaken, but would remove the issue of the bottom of the shaker being prone to spilling grounds everywhere.