Beware of Hipster Cafes

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

https://www.salon.com/2023/12/09/hipste ... of-coffee/
Joy Saha wrote:Regardless of what purpose coffee serves for you, the beverage is at its crux pleasurable... That, however, has been tainted by hipster cafes: swanky spots with fancy barista gadgets, beans sourced from an array of exclusive locations (like coffee excreted from civet cats found on the islands of Bali!), and a menu that's shorter than my weekly grocery list. If the unconventional coffee isn't enough to grab your attention, the eye-catching aesthetic certainly will. Such cafes are either riddled with minimalistic decor or filled with a superfluous amount of plants and wacky artwork.

(cont'd)
You'll be surprised to learn that you are all agents of the global capitalist conspiracy. Repent, and return ye to your Maxwell Houses!
Jim Schulman

SutterMill

#2: Post by SutterMill »

another_jim wrote:You'll be surprised to learn that you are all agents of the global capitalist conspiracy. Repent, and return ye to your Maxwell Houses!
The radio waves coming through my tin foil hat say this is big tea attempt to lure us away from coffee.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

Get off my lawn!
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

SteveRhinehart

#4: Post by SteveRhinehart »

This is one of those pieces where I had to check the publication date to make sure it wasn't either:
1. April 1
2. "2013 (updated)"

It's incredible to see people write this stuff today. The hipster barista meme template began in 2011 and died off ages ago, the out of touch avocado toast millionaire guy was over five years ago, people do not even unironically say "hipster" in conversation anymore. We have quite thoroughly moved on.

Sal

#5: Post by Sal »

To be honest, I don't know what the Hipster cafes look like. I have not had a coffee outside of my house for years. But I would not be too surprised to find a "high-end, overpriced coffee shops" filled with "pretentious and annoying" enthusiasts. I just have no interest visiting such shops.
I am a home-roaster, not a home-barista...

TallDan

#6: Post by TallDan »

One person's "pretentious and annoying" is another's "they get it" or "geek out".

I've seen the same with craft beer, and wine has had both sides of that coin for longer than I've been able to drink it.

Don't worry, there's room for everyone in the world of coffee. No reason to make it a "us vs them" situation. I'm not "tainting" anyone's Maxwell House or gas station coffee, and they're not tainting mine.

sympa

#7: Post by sympa »

SteveRhinehart wrote: The hipster barista meme template began in 2011 and died off ages ago
In my New England college town (Northampton, MA) the hipster barista was a thing in 2006.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by hankua »

Coffee culture is pretentious and annoying. But history shows that it's always been that way
Ya mean just like wine? :D
Luckily Joy still has Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, and CosMic's for coffee drinks...........

David R.

#9: Post by David R. »

Sal wrote:To be honest, I don't know what the Hipster cafes look like.
Here you go:
David R.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#10: Post by Milligan »

Geez, I think Joy needs to reflect on what has made her hypersensitive to someone else's lifestyle or pleasures. Reads more like a Reddit manifesto than a published article.

I found this interesting:
Earlier this week marked National Peppermint Latte Day. So to celebrate, let's just allow people to enjoy their coffee how they please. There's no shame in enjoying a cup of coffee filled with all the sugary toppings your heart desires. There's only shame in judging.
Maybe she should take her own advice.