Barista Hustle Precision Milk Pitcher - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
HBchris

#11: Post by HBchris »

been looking for a better pitcher, and just like that, i'm in x 2 :D

What I hope to gain is the peace of mind in knowing my latte art skills and improvement (or lack there of) is on me, not my equipment.

Spitz.me

#12: Post by Spitz.me replying to HBchris »

With the way this thread has gone, I honestly can't tell how genuine this post is. I would hazard to guess that the pitcher might be the issue with bad latte art form in less than 2% of all cases since 1990.
LMWDP #670

Advertisement
Balthazar_B

#13: Post by Balthazar_B replying to Spitz.me »

Just a couple of notes:
  • BH has a point in emphasizing the strength of the connection between handle and jug. Amazon is littered with reviews that note the failure of weak and/or poorly-executed spot-welded connections on many well-known pitchers.
  • The elimination of variables is a necessary first step in optimizing the quality of coffee drinks, so if BH pitchers are truly and consistently built to better tolerances, that's a good thing.
That said, there are a couple of headwinds preventing me from purchasing one of their pitchers. First, I've got a bunch of 12 oz-ish pitchers that I don't hate, but I could use a larger (16-20 oz) one I like. Second, a couple of my pitchers have internal volumetric markings, that I've grown to find useful. I hope BH decides to add those in the future.

One last point: BH and Motta have decided on heavier-gauge steel for their pitchers, while Decent has gone in the opposite direction of light-gauge. I don't know who's "right", but it's an interesting contrast. As I've said elsewhere, I don't particularly like Decent's teflon exterior -- to me, it's just unnecessary bling at the expense of durability -- so for the time being, I'm holding off on purchasing any of their jugs too.
- John

LMWDP # 577

Headala

#14: Post by Headala »

In all seriousness, I *hope* to someday get to a place where I can honestly say, "The slightly off-center handle of my milk pitcher is the only thing holding back my latte art." At that point I will happily buy this pitcher, if it still exists.

biketo

#15: Post by biketo »

Balthazar_B wrote:That said, there are a couple of headwinds preventing me from purchasing one of their pitchers. First, I've got a bunch of 12 oz-ish pitchers that I don't hate, but I could use a larger (16-20 oz) one I like. Second, a couple of my pitchers have internal volumetric markings, that I've grown to find useful. I hope BH decides to add those in the future.
In the BH Facebook group, Matt Perger mentioned that the 600ml version is in the works. And, yes, multiple commenters were asking for volumetric markings, as well, and Matt said he would look into it. Personally I just weighed the milk once to get an idea of the fill point and then fill to that imaginary line every time, but I can see how that might not be great in a production environment...

Headala

#16: Post by Headala replying to biketo »

John from Decent posted a while back about the difficulties of accurate measurements printed inside a milk pitcher. I'd never thought about it before but when I understood the manufacturing process I can see how it would be hard to have straight lines and accurate graduations all the way up the inside of a complex shape like a milk pitcher!

thecoffeefield

#17: Post by thecoffeefield »

I watched the video and I think the pitcher is cool but the price is not right for me. For this price, the pitcher should have a hole for a thermometer (I know that professional baristas don't use a thermometer but I do and I think marketing this to the professionals only would be a mistake). Also, internal volumetric markings are important. If I'm paying $50 for a pitcher then at least I'd like to convince myself that over 10 years the pitcher will pay for itself with all the milk i'll save! :wink:

Advertisement
Balthazar_B

#18: Post by Balthazar_B »

Headala wrote:John from Decent posted a while back about the difficulties of accurate measurements printed inside a milk pitcher. I'd never thought about it before but when I understood the manufacturing process I can see how it would be hard to have straight lines and accurate graduations all the way up the inside of a complex shape like a milk pitcher!
If you're working with a manufacturer who's capable of turning out product with close tolerances, then you only have to get the measurements right once, out of the gate. NB: on a pitcher like this, the volumetric lines will NOT be evenly spaced. :P

I'm so glad hypodermic needles have reasonably accurate markings. Would be kind of exciting -- in a bad way -- if they didn't, no?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Headala

#19: Post by Headala replying to Balthazar_B »

The Kenya Nyeri Karatina in my syringe is too dark and syrupy to see the markings as I stab it in my arm.... :lol:

biketo

#20: Post by biketo »

Headala wrote:John from Decent posted a while back about the difficulties of accurate measurements printed inside a milk pitcher. I'd never thought about it before but when I understood the manufacturing process I can see how it would be hard to have straight lines and accurate graduations all the way up the inside of a complex shape like a milk pitcher!
The Espro Toroid 2 seems like a more durable (if accurate) solution with the markings embossed into the metal, visible inside and out. Possible because the pitcher is made in three parts. I suppose the alternative is laser etching, but that tends to wear off/fade on stainless steel over time.