Are VST baskets still the standard?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
sluflyer06

#1: Post by sluflyer06 »

Just wondering, I started using VST baskets pretty much exclusively about 6 years ago and it occurred to me I really haven't paid attention since then on what is going on in the world of baskets...

What are people using? Are VST still the go-to for nearly everyone or should I be experimenting with other stuff?

klee11mtl

#2: Post by klee11mtl »

IMS Precision baskets are fairly popular. VST baskets aren't available in 54mm so IMS Precision baskets seem to be the only upgrade path for Breville home users.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Funny you should ask, I am giving up my VST and IMS for the basket that comes with the Slayer, but also sold very low cost by Espresso Parts.

They call it the ESPRESSO PARTS HQ DOUBLE PORTAFILTER BASKET - 14GR. But I regularly do 19-20 grams.

EDIT - LINK UPDATED TO CORRECT RIDGELESS VERSION.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

sluflyer06 (original poster)

#4: Post by sluflyer06 (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Funny you should ask, I am giving up my VST and IMS for the basket that comes with the Slayer, but also sold very low cost by Espresso Parts.

They call it the ESPRESSO PARTS HQ DOUBLE PORTAFILTER BASKET - 14GR. But I regularly does 19-20 grams.
Interesting, is that the only size? I may even have one I haven't used, along with a bunch of IMS filters I used with an e61.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Standard Warning: If you're a novice home-espresso enthusiast, I do NOT recommend rushing out and buying VST or any other high-flow basket.

I haven't found anything better than VSTs for the medium-light and light coffees I pull. I suspect that some of the high-flow IMS baskets and the Pullman baskets are comparable. There are several that I find notably worse, either clogging or with apparently poorer edge extraction.

I do find the EPNW 14 mentioned a good basket, especially for more conventional espresso. Some also use it (or similar) to tame certain of the flat-burr grinders with various cuts of SSP burrs in them. There are also moderate-flow IMS baskets that I found similar in the cup.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by PIXIllate »

I own just about every basket available (IMS, E&B, EPHQ, VST). I use the VST 18g for 95% of my shots. Once you learn the puck prep required it's pretty obvious on the palate (and on the refractometer) there are taste advantages to extracting more from high quality coffees.
Basket Comparison (EPHQ, VST and OEM) - Added E&B Superfine

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Splunge »

I used VST baskets almost exclusively since whenever they first came on the market. A couple of years ago I decided to broaden my horizons, trying pretty much everything listed above. My clear favourite ended up being the Pullman 17-19g basket. For the shots I pull,
nothing darker than medium, around 1:1.5, the Pullman gives me a great balance of body and clarity. I generally dose on the low side, starting at 17 or so, moving up from there as required.
Chris

cafeIKE

#8: Post by cafeIKE »

sluflyer06 wrote:Are VST still the go-to for nearly everyone or should I be experimenting with other stuff?
Never were a 'standard' and never will be. There are too many variables with coffees, grinders and machines for there to be a one-size-fits-all.

Methinks many adjust their prep to accommodate the VST when changing the basket to accommodate the coffee and machine might result in a better shot. At last count, about 15 baskets in use here, all of which have their place.

Too many noobee think they will solve their issues when more than likely they make things worse.

TigerStripes

#9: Post by TigerStripes »

If you like light or medium roast coffee as espresso - 100% yes, buy a VST and forget any other basket exists. In terms of performance:price, there is nothing else on the espresso machine that will give you the same bang for the buck. If you pull dark roast, use any basket, that stuff is easy to extract.
LMWDP #715

sluflyer06 (original poster)

#10: Post by sluflyer06 (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote:Never were a 'standard' and never will be. There are too many variables with coffees, grinders and machines for there to be a one-size-fits-all.

Methinks many adjust their prep to accommodate the VST when changing the basket to accommodate the coffee and machine might result in a better shot. At last count, about 15 baskets in use here, all of which have their place.

Too many noobee think they will solve their issues when more than likely they make things worse.
By standard I simply mean what the community is largely using, as people tend to jump on the train so to speak with hobby stuff. Maybe next time I pickup something darker side of medium like Lusso I should try something other than vst basket