Are glencairn and snifter glasses sufficiently heat-resistant to use for espresso? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Brien

#11: Post by Brien »

Stagg! My bottle is almost gone.

jpender

#12: Post by jpender »

Is it really that much narrower than a demitasse? Or do most people attach the spouts when they pull shots into little espresso cups?

cmin

#13: Post by cmin »

I just checked and Glencairn will clear on my setup with scale. I'd test but machine is sol paperweight waiting on a stupid $5 part from Europe since nobody in the world apparently carries BSP spec'd fittings.
Brewzologist wrote:OK. Chris started it. Whisky p0rn... 8)

But yes I've tried using my Glencairn's for spro and you need a single spouted portafilter due to the small opening.

If you like Talisker, look for Benriach Smokey 10, that is a bangin bottle for the $, just wish it was cask strength mmmmm. They use bourbon, rum, and virgin oak, so delicious, and peated, and briny note like Talisker. Only pic I had off hand.

mckolit

#14: Post by mckolit »

jpender wrote:Is it really that much narrower than a demitasse? Or do most people attach the spouts when they pull shots into little espresso cups?
The outside diameter of the Glencairn is the same as the inside diameter of a demitasse. But with the thicker walls of the demitasse, it can still catch some of the stray drips of a bottomless portafilter. If the glencairn fits with a spouted portafilter, that would be ideal.

_Ryan_

#15: Post by _Ryan_ »

I think I've used sniftners without issue. have used rocks/old fashioned glasses a number of times when moving/unpacking/waiting on dishwasher to finish before i expanded my glassware collection. :oops:

Rocks glass clears a spouted PF nicely.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

I use Ikea rocks glasses for cupping. I've probably got 40 - 50 of them so I could do a whole table of coffee with five samples each. They mostly hold OJ or Scotch these days.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272
★ Helpful

TomC
Team HB

#17: Post by TomC »

cmin wrote:Hmmm never thought to try, not sure if it would fit with scale, might depend on machine and group clearance. But I looooove whiskey...

My wall of bourbon is jealous if you happened to acquire those without allocated pricing!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

cmin

#18: Post by cmin »

TomC wrote: My wall of bourbon is jealous if you happened to acquire those without allocated pricing!
haha all retail, got lucky with GTS on Vault access here in FL with ABC. And that Stagg Jr, hilarious story, I happened to call Total Wine up to see if they had any in stock, they only showed that 1 bottle in whole state of FL, and their system period. So drove to that store, about 30 min away, looked at the proof.... Batch 9. Most coveted release. Had others, but I've kept that one specifically just sipping here and there once in a blue moon.

I don't even bother calling now as everyone and their mother calls 24/7 and that annoys the sh** our of places now. Prices now are insane, everything like tripled and quadrupled, you could get GTS or WLW for like 400, than in the last year or two more like 1300+ now. Nope lol
★ Helpful