Are cup size and shape too often everlooked factors? - Page 9

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
wachuko

#81: Post by wachuko »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:
Okay... maybe one of those EPSD3 Demitasse Cups... because the only one that I have is that black one (from the Cuatro Sombras Cafe ) that I purchased in Old San Juan, PR . I would be very sad if anything was to happen to it...

EDIT: Ordered those in baby blue... gave in and also got the ACAIA Lunar scale...

Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

wachuko

#82: Post by wachuko »

Ordered some green beans from Sweet Maria's to start roasting again... got one of their cups... wow these little things have a thick wall!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Advertisement
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#83: Post by JohnB. »

It looks very much like the ACF Ristretto cups I use everyday. That thick wall pulls the heat out of the espresso faster then a thin walled cup so you can enjoy the shot sooner.
LMWDP 267

wachuko

#84: Post by wachuko »

Wife made me list all the cups I have purchased since the lockdown... just for fun I figured I would share the list here as well... It is copy/paste from the email I sent her (so "your" means "her, my wife") that had a list of all coffee related stuff I have purchased... it was a fun exercise... I would have never purchased any of this under normal times...

Cups so far: 39
  • notNeutral - 6 Lino espresso cups (2 white, 2 black, 2 blue)
  • Fellow - 4 espresso cups (2 Monty white, 2 Joey Black)
  • ILLY Art Collection 2001 MOMA PS1 Porcelain Espresso Cups/Cappuccino - 6 (this is the set I am using for your lattes)
  • Londinium - 4 espresso cups - remember that I wanted these since once gone, no more will be made... some spares in case one breaks...
  • Sweet Maria's - 1 espresso cup
  • Espresso Parts - 3 espresso cups -1 brown, 2 baby blue these one are the same cups that the one we bought in Cuatro Sombras in black...just in blue. Blue ones arrive this Thursday.
  • Caffe Lusso - 1 espresso cup / 1 shotglass
  • Rocket - 2 espresso cups
  • No-name Ischia - 6 espresso cups - these arrive tomorrow from Italy
  • Caffe Lusso Mug - yours
  • bisqitCERAMICS handmade cups - 2 Jupiter (1 espresso, one cappuccino size for you, 2 marble gray swirl with blue interior (1 espresso, one cappuccino size for you) - these were ordered in May 3rd but have not arrived... coming from Prague, Czech Republic

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

RyanP

#85: Post by RyanP »

wachuko wrote:Wife made me list all the cups I have purchased since the lockdown... just for fun I figured I would share the list here as well... It is copy/paste from the email I sent her (so "your" means "her, my wife") that had a list of all coffee related stuff I have purchased... it was a fun exercise... I would have never purchased any of this under normal times...
Since the intent of this thread is to discuss how cup shape and size impact taste maybe you could try to make some comments on what you've noticed through your cup buying journey?

wachuko

#86: Post by wachuko replying to RyanP »

Sure.

notNeutral Lino - this is like comfort food... just great... feels like home. Always going for the blue since that is my favorite color

Fellow cups heat dissipation is too much for me... they make the espresso cold too fast... this is even with keeping the cups on the Rocket (just to keep them warm), pouring hot water before the shot, etc. I enjoy looking at them but no longer enjoy drinking from them... I now use the Monti when my son wants a espresso macchiato... and no longer even use the Joey... again, very nice to look at with that copper accent on the bottom and they feel great in my hands. But can't stand that they just cool the drink way too fast...

ILLY Art Collection 2001 MOMA PS1 Porcelain Cappuccino cups - bought these by mistake thinking these were espresso cups... I wanted to have the complete set... thread here: Buying the wrong espresso cups and how I survived

The Caffe Lusso mug is great... feels great, good heat dissipation control... Thick-walled mug. this is for my wife's lattes.. and she loves it.

So anything with thick walls in ceramic/porcelain with no gold or mirror-like finish that would burn my lips, has been amazing to drink out off. The Sweet Maria's Nuova Point cup, the Espresso Parts cups (both), the ANCAP (Londinium , Caffe Lusso, etc.)...

Reason for the long search on that Ischia cup. I believe that will be the holy grail for me... too bad I could only find those in white. If I ever buy any other cup it will be when I find that Ischia cup in other colors...

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

valoben

#87: Post by valoben »

@Wachuko

How about you write "Wachuko's Espresso Cups Encyclopedia" ? I'd buy it !

I could not find the notNeutral in blue indigo (import EU), only in white. At some point I might get the Loveramics one, they seem to be good and look really nice, and I can find them without spending a huge amount on import/shipping.
LMWDP #669

Advertisement
wachuko

#88: Post by wachuko replying to valoben »

I know nothing about all this, lol, but thank you for the vote of confidence! hahahaha

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#89: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Jamie,

To Quote The Green Arrow, "you have failed this city". :D

PS blue Lino rocks

Go buy something Inker. You just have toooo. Tell the Mrs the Marco Raja tastes better in Inker.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

CoffeeCoffeeCoffee (original poster)

#90: Post by CoffeeCoffeeCoffee (original poster) »

wachuko wrote:Wife made me list all the cups I have purchased since the lockdown...
Hmm not sure whether I should feel guilty for opening this thread :D ...just kidding, I bought quite a lot of coffee stuff during the lockdown

The Ischia is also one of my favorite shape, but I wish it where a bit bigger (for doubles). I just ordered a set of red Ipa Milano which are a tad bit larger but with a similar shape https://www.tazzine.ch/ipa-espr-milano- ... a%20milano
The only criteria that really matters is how much you enjoy your coffee