Are cup size and shape too often everlooked factors? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#11: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

To me ergonomics are more important for cap cups. For espresso cups, being small and light there are many options on how to grip so that it doesn't matter much.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

wachuko

#12: Post by wachuko replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

We had a set that we got as a gift at a wedding we attended... loved those cups but they were extremely fragile. Not the same brand and not exactly the same style, but close.

These look similar and look to be more robust. Will see how they work out. Black and white are on the way.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

wachuko

#13: Post by wachuko »

This thread got me digging through all the cups I had stored.... got these out:

No name/brand... I think it was the first set I got....

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

lancealot

#14: Post by lancealot »

I love the colors.

Rustic39

#15: Post by Rustic39 »

I just ordered a set of Illys, but those NotNeutral versions look handy. I'd also get one like Wachuco has there in teal. I like that bigger grip and thick rim.

wachuko

#16: Post by wachuko replying to Rustic39 »

I got a set of 4 with saucers from Amazon. Here is the link:

Espresso Cups and Saucers by Easy Living Goods - 3-Ounce Demitasse for Coffee, Set of 4, Assorted Colors (Vibrant) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTNHJDY/

But they do sell them individually. Same link.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Spitz.me

#17: Post by Spitz.me »

I do think the cup size is overlooked as important to the taste experience. I find latte mugs (like the not neutral) really help to open up the shot very quickly while cooling it. A wider area is great for cooling the espresso with a few swirls (I don't care what Hoffman said, I swirl) and cooler espresso has always been tastier than very hot espresso. Also, the size of the mug allows you to smell and drink at the same time. This definitely improves the drinking experience for me. I find it odd to pucker up to a tiny cup now.

I think, by far, the worst cup is a double walled glass cup. Espresso stays too hot for too long. Looks cool, tastes terrible.
LMWDP #670

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#18: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Not Neutral sale -
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

CoffeeCoffeeCoffee (original poster)

#19: Post by CoffeeCoffeeCoffee (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:A bit of timing irony - How Cup Color, Shape And Texture Affect Perceptions of Coffee
Quite a coincidence! Thanks for the link.

Nice to see that the topic sparked a discussion.

I think that my ideal cup would be something like a smaller version (~100cc) of a classic short an wide cappuccino cup with thick glazed porcelain. A bit like this shape, but smaller.

I searched for a while on the net but could not find anything close to this.
The only criteria that really matters is how much you enjoy your coffee

wachuko

#20: Post by wachuko »

Received a few... comparing them to the one I have. I measured the opening with the other side of the caliper, but had to turn it around to show the numbers... so the measurement is of the inside opening at the top, not just placing the caliper as you see it in the photo. That was just to show the measurement. I hope that makes sense. Here you go:

No doubt, looks like I will be enjoying my espresso with the notNeutral Lino espresso cups... I ordered two in black and two in white... they feel great and wide opening.

Wachuko - LMWDP #654