Anyone with garage or workshop espresso setup?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
drH

#1: Post by drH »

I'm curious about whether anyone arranges an espresso setup in their garage or workshop, and if they have any tips?
I'd love to experiment with some lever machines or big top-end grinders like the Ditting 807, but there's no way to set aside space in my kitchen, especially with the cabinet height requirements.

I do have a garage space and some unfinished area in my basement. Maybe a homemade basement bar is the better option, although it's a bit out of the way. Curious how you all fit in the larger equipment?

Kaffeind

#2: Post by Kaffeind »

Hi drH,
FWIW here's my garage 'man cave' espresso setup. Cheap shelving unit (some assembly required). Topped with 1/4"x 24"x48" plywood, coffee themed vinyl tablecloth and topped again with 3/16" x 24"x 48" acrylic sheet. Above the tiki tapa cloth at the top of photo is 36" LED shop light. It's possible to squeeze all this in on a 36" length top, but I have a coffee roaster there as well. Garage floors are pitched 1 or 2 degrees back to front for drainage so a spirit level is required to shim the table legs and top.

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

You even got a portafilter pressure gauge all boxed up & ready to go!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

TomC
Team HB

#4: Post by TomC »

I wish I could find the photo I took of Trystero's (Greg Thomas) garage coffee bar he had down in LA. Very cool place. He had a large CMA lever set up and cozy couches and just a cool vibe overall. He's since moved, but used to post great stuff on his Instagram.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

edschlukebir
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by edschlukebir »

I guess I don't have a good picture of the whole setup but back when I lived in Houston, my first espresso machine was in the garage.

Jasper_8137

#6: Post by Jasper_8137 »

I didn't have room for my Gaggia lever in my kitchen so I set it up in the basement laundry area. It actually works great as it's plumbed from the sink and I have a small fridge next to it. It's also adjacent to our family / tv room so it's very convenient to pull shots in the morning while I'm watching the news before work.

robmack

#7: Post by robmack »

I have a friend who rents a storage locker, but a special one. The space he rents is used to house the HVAC equipment for the complex so its the largest storage unit. In fact, it has a second floor which he uses for storage. Anyways, he's setup a full machine shop on the first floor and practically lives in the place. So, he's got a small espresso setup for those times when the guys visit the man-cave and shoot the s**t. He makes one hell of a coffee with that setup. I'll have to get a photo next time I'm over.
- Robert