Anyone using the Orphan Espresso dosing funnels ?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Ton

#1: Post by Ton »

I ask, because I ordered and meanwhile received the tall one (Ipanema) en the regular one and both in 58mm.
Both don't fit however for my LM double basket. The Ipanema one is too small in diameter and falls easily out when manipulating the portafilter. The regular one has a too tight fit and is very difficult to pull off the portafilter after dosing and WDT-ing.
Anyone else experiencing this ?
Ton

jfrescki

#2: Post by jfrescki »

I have a regular one for my EPC-8, and the fit is good, but then those baskets are in their wheelhouse.
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

Bluecold

#3: Post by Bluecold »

I've got a 45mm for my La Peppina. I don't use it anymore as I didn't find it to suit my workflow. The fit is perfect though.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Ton,

Filter baskets can be slightly different in size. Did you try your dosing funnels with different filter baskets? Also, since Doug and Barb Garrott are honorable people and trusted vendors on this site, did you contact them and ask them for a solution before posting your concern publicly?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Ton (original poster)

#5: Post by Ton (original poster) »

@drgary:
I didn't mention it but I also tried them on a VST 18 grams basket and both funnels are too small for a good fit.
And I asked Orphan Espresso about it (via a request in my account there) 10 days ago but didn't get a reply yet.

asicign

#6: Post by asicign »

I just got a 58mm funnel to dump grounds from my Pharos to a Silvia filter. Works great.

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Two of my OE dosing funnels fit well, one is a little tight. All of them are the small aluminum ones. The ones that fit well are for my 58mm E61 machine (Isomac Amica) and the 49mm one for my Olympia Express Coffex. The 51mm funnel I'm using with my Lady Duchessa and Microcimbali is a bit tight, so I've started to just barely insert it, and now I'm using it without difficulty. That's why I think of espresso baskets and portafilters as sometimes varying in size just enough to make a difference. For anyone following the thread that tests the Bezzera Strega, Bezzera Strega - Second Look you'll see that some owners of that machine have received portafilters that fit well, others have experienced poor fits, and that's with a new machine that's a pretty big spend. I don't think this is an isolated issue and relates more to portafilter and basket size variations. So I guess the only thing to do is persist with getting in contact with OE, and they'll address this for you.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

mute

#8: Post by mute »

I've been using one with my LM baskets for a couple years now, I love it. Really helps cut down on spillage, and makes dosing directly into my PF a little easier.

lolgun

#9: Post by lolgun »

I use the 58mm on my VST basket and have no complaints. Fits perfect. . .

expy98

#10: Post by expy98 »

just another data point, mine also fits as expected.