Anyone get a Chris King tamper yesterday?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#1: Post by baldheadracing »

Not that I need yet another tamper, but they sold out awfully fast. None of the colorways appealed to me, though, so I am not that disappointed.

https://chrisking.com/collections/gear/ ... sso-tamper
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Barriwhite

#2: Post by Barriwhite »

The profile is odd, and the colour options seem unresearched, random even. And they're selling at 150$ a piece? Does this guy have a cult following? First time I hear of the brand.

Capuchin Monk

#3: Post by Capuchin Monk »

It's a well known bicycle components company, high end price components. Looks like their tamper production shares the same machining as their head set.

John49

#4: Post by John49 »

Only 58mm?

Bean_Thinking

#5: Post by Bean_Thinking »

I don't think I'll spend this much on a tamper anytime soon, but if I did, would probably get this. Gotta go with something like "3D violet" for maximum Chris King.

flyingtoaster

#6: Post by flyingtoaster »

Ah, so Chris King is a bling company that "drops" hard goods. I had to look them up.

BKH

#7: Post by BKH »

I found out about it yesterday evening and all were already sold out. I wonder how few they had on hand.

I would have plunked down $150 as someone who lusted after a wheelset built with their hubs back in the '90s.

lancealot

#8: Post by lancealot »

I was on the site yesterday looking for a headset and got pretty excited when I saw the tampers. Then I saw they were only selling them in 58mm and passed. I'd love to have one on my bar, just for the esoteric reference that ties together my two favorite hobbies. I've never handled one but they don't look very ergonomic. The handle seems to be more of an homage to the iconic headsets than something that is going to feel good in the hand. I'm not terribly disappointed either. I'd be happy to receive one as a gift one day.

Ben Z.

#9: Post by Ben Z. »

Is this a joke? Those are hideous and seem to offer zero functional benefits either.

baldheadracing (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing (original poster) »

Capuchin Monk wrote:It's a well known bicycle components company, high end price components.
flyingtoaster wrote:Ah, so Chris King is a bling company that "drops" hard goods. I had to look them up.
It's a question of whether one buys into that company's ethos or not. Does it matter if the products are entirely made in the USA in small batches? (not just assembled or meeting the minimum content to be labeled as such, but entirely made in the USA) If so, then how much extra is one willing to pay, because every item that Chris King makes in Portland is going to cost a lot more than if the same item was made overseas where costs are lower for the same quality and low production volume.

The Cat & Cloud tampers that came out a couple years ago were entirely made in the USA to similar levels of quality and production volume, and those were $175, a little higher in price than Chris King's. There is also an upcoming low-volume tamper that is made entirely in Canada that will probably also be a little higher in price.

I'm not saying that country of origin should or shouldn't matter; I am just pointing out that if where an item is made matters to a consumer, then the consumer may have to pay more.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada