Any real data on espresso compounds extracted over time? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
doublehelix

#11: Post by doublehelix »

Baldheadracing- That's a cool book--up-todate and very comprehensive....thanks for posting the link

Arpi

#12: Post by Arpi »

You may also look in to water mineral content. According to the new book called "Water For Coffee," different minerals of the water will bind to different compounds and create a different extraction. Thus, the graphs above assume a constant water mineral content that nobody knows.

You can see a video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsZ-ux2bEp0

doublehelix

#13: Post by doublehelix »

Marshall wrote:Yes. The Coffee Lexicon (recently developed at Kansas State University with guidance and funding from World Coffee Research) has commonly available reference material for each flavor. The most talked about has been Oregon canned blueberries for that Yrgacheffe "blueberry note." Lindsey Bolger's presentation at April's SCAA Symposium is well worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=8&v=YCTlk1uj1nM

Neat! Could I trouble you to point me at some references I can read from this group at KS? (I'm also thinking about purchasing that coffee book: ~1,000 pages!!!) Thanks!

It seems like they offer flavor/fragrance components, but not sure they offer roasted beans?

Marshall

#14: Post by Marshall »

doublehelix wrote:Neat! Could I trouble you to point me at some references I can read from this group at KS? (I'm also thinking about purchasing that coffee book: ~1,000 pages!!!) Thanks!
It has not been published yet, but will be in the near future.
Marshall
Los Angeles

doublehelix

#15: Post by doublehelix »

baldheadracing wrote:Some research previously posted; whether the linked article and book are "simple and useful" is perhaps a function of the reader :) :

Pump vs. Lever - chlorogenic acids [pdf] + "Coffee in Health and Disease" [book preview]
I just purchased this book--amazing series of chapter from some very good labs/groups--almost 1,000 pages. For ~$150, I think I may have gotten my money's' worth.

desnutrit

#16: Post by desnutrit »

Two works that can be helpful, one in capsules (with one second resolution) and the other with semi-automatic coffee machine (2 seconds resolution), on volatile compounds extracted over time. Both are open access:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac502992k

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0616000440

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#17: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

desnutrit wrote:Two works that can be helpful, one in capsules (with one second resolution) and the other with semi-automatic coffee machine (2 seconds resolution), on volatile compounds extracted over time.
Jose, thank you for those links! The 2nd article in particular, is quite interesting to me in that it gives both a time-based analysis of the extraction of 5 groups of compounds, but it also shows the change caused by temperature. I was surprised that 92C was so different from 96C, since those are both very much within the range of common espresso making.

Slightly odd, I didn't see caffeine (Trimethylpurine) listed among the compounds they identified.

I'm still looking for a time (and temperature) analysis of caffeine extraction in espresso.

The 1st article is behind a paywall, and is capsule-coffee based, so not as interesting to me.

doublehelix

#18: Post by doublehelix »

I briefly looked at the two articles. The sample feeder to the ms setup, I think, was designed to only assay volatiles and caffeine is not especially volatile. Fascinating articles--real time chemical profiling of espresso.

jpender

#19: Post by jpender »

decent_espresso wrote:The 1st article is behind a paywall...
pd.zhaw.ch/publikation/upload/207846.pdf