Andrea Bacchi: the Leonardo da Vinci of espresso - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
espressme

#11: Post by espressme » Oct 20, 2009, 8:18 pm

Hi All,
Second hand but concerning.
I just heard from a friend that a shipping company that was chosen to bring a couple of espresso machines they had purchased from Italy added a surcharge of over $800 to open the boxed machines for anti terror inspection.
That charge was theirs (shipping company,) not the governments. Apparently, the company wasn't making enough on the shipping so they added an inspection un-pack to put money into their pockets. There was no recourse for removing the charge. The actual duty on the machines was under $5.
-Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

michaelbenis

#12: Post by michaelbenis » Oct 21, 2009, 5:38 am

Couldn't they have pursued the shipping company in the courts because the charges were unreasonable?

That would have been available to them here in the good old UK.

As far as I know no one got hit by anything like that for their Elektra Ninos from Italy.

Back to the Bacchi: I have got some very impressive correspondence from Italian coffee connoisseurs on the coffee it produces.

It's really a bit on the big side for camping, but sounds waaaaay better (and more robust) than the Handpresso....
LMWDP No. 237

Lvx

#13: Post by Lvx » Oct 21, 2009, 11:05 am

michaelbenis wrote:Hi Lucio,

those are some very impressive looking results, aided of course by 30% robusta for the crema, but looking good nonetheless. I'll be interested to read more when you've done more complete testing. Especially since you have experience of so many other machines with which to compare the taste profile.

Sorry to hear you've had swine flu. Hope you get rid of it fast.

The price of the Bacci is very attractive and international shipping very reasonable too. I'm quite tempted to get one, above all for camping, festivals and motorcycle rallies.

How big is compared to say a moka? It certainly looks smaller than an Atomic or Otto and also looks likely to be better for espresso than either of the two, though it obviously can't compete for capuccinos - which don't interest me at all.

Cheers

Mike
Here we are with the photos! Image

The machine is similar to the Atomic, just a little bit heavier.

Above, from the heaven, the other "saints" watch the newborn.. :D
Audaces fortuna iuvat

http://caffettiere.blogspot.com/

Lvx

#14: Post by Lvx » Oct 21, 2009, 11:15 am

michaelbenis wrote:Couldn't they have pursued the shipping company in the courts because the charges were unreasonable?

That would have been available to them here in the good old UK.

As far as I know no one got hit by anything like that for their Elektra Ninos from Italy.

Back to the Bacchi: I have got some very impressive correspondence from Italian coffee connoisseurs on the coffee it produces.

It's really a bit on the big side for camping, but sounds waaaaay better (and more robust) than the Handpresso....
Today my Mom tasted the Bacchi vs the Pavoni Pro copper-brass: Illy's coffee pregrounded for espresso machines , which is her favourite one (we are from Triest... :wink: ). Her personal opinion was : very good with La Pavoni .... excellent with the Bacchi (xe come el caffè del bar ( it's the same as the bar..)) :mrgreen: .
Audaces fortuna iuvat

Stuggi

#15: Post by Stuggi » Oct 23, 2009, 8:32 am

michaelbenis wrote:As far as I know no one got hit by anything like that for their Elektra Ninos from Italy.
Well, you can't get any of that if you buy stuff from inside the EU, and probably because some shippers are more honest than others. Personally I tend to go with DHL, Schenker and the likes.
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

Lvx

#16: Post by Lvx » Oct 29, 2009, 1:25 pm

Hi, my lever friends.
At least today i've started my personal homemade test to show the difference between my lever machines and the Bacchi espresso, an hydraulic press machine already partially described in this topic.

The coffee i used this time was a 50% mix of arabica, grounded 2 steps over the regular set for la Pavoni , good enough for both the machines.

Here we have the two contenders :

First ,la Pavoni Professional, copper & brass ; a 2001 machine provided with a 2 cups basket, light tamp , and 2 pulls.

This is the result:

Second ,la Bacchi espresso , a 2009 machine provided with 2 cups basket (which is approx. a 20% wider than la Pavoni's), with one exit hose stopped.

This is the result:

One spoon of sugar in each one cup, and i've done a suddenly blind test to my wife . :twisted:

She preferred the Pavoni's cup, since the Bacchi's was too bitter .
I loved the Bacchi's because the extraction of some hidden tastes cannot be performed by la Pavoni.

In the next days I'll do more tests with other machines.
...stay tuned :wink:
Audaces fortuna iuvat

michaelbenis

#17: Post by michaelbenis » Oct 29, 2009, 2:47 pm

Great! Thanks for keeping us in the picture about this. I'm sorely tempted to try the Bacchi though goodness alone know I've got more than enough machines here.

How does it compare in size to a 4-cup Bialetti Moka?

And another question: when you say two steps over do you mean two steps finer? I can't help wondering whether the result was slightly overextracted as a result. Might be interesting to turn the grinder back a notch next time.

And yet another question: does the Bacchi work as well on an electric cooker as on a gas one?

Ciao!

Mike
LMWDP No. 237

espressme

#18: Post by espressme » Oct 30, 2009, 11:01 am

Thanks for the comparison! I look forward to seeing what happens with the above idea of grinder setting change. You may find that the two machines need separate grinder settings to bring out the best in the roast!
It would still be a good comparison!
--Richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

Lvx

#19: Post by Lvx » Oct 30, 2009, 3:23 pm

Well, this morning i waked up my beloved Caravel 1st model (with Vam marks under the grey paint)

As suggested i grinded the same coffee i used yesterday in two different ways: 2 steps finer for the Caravel.
The results was these:

The Bacchi was not filled over the normal capacity of its basket as i've done yesterday, so it performed better.

Today i involved my wife's hairdresser to test the difference.
She rated 9 to the Bacchi and 9 to the Caravel.
In my opinion crema was dense for both, but also in this case, the Bacchi's taste was more "complete".
Audaces fortuna iuvat

Lvx

#20: Post by Lvx » Oct 30, 2009, 3:34 pm

I was forgetting one thing... :mrgreen:

... ride the waves of coffee seas , my lovely Caravel ...
Audaces fortuna iuvat