Alternative milks and questionable ingredients

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
clokwork

#1: Post by clokwork »

I have been using oat milk for years. I'd like to believe I do my due diligence researching when information is spread regarding "bad" ingredients. That said it seems seed oils are everywhere (canola, rapeseed, sunflower, etc..). It is likely in your favorite oat milk. I have no intent to fear monger. The more I read about the excess consumption of seed oils, I'm inclined to want a reduction in my intake.

That said, I did find an oat milk that does not use any seed oils (Elmhurst), but the taste, subjectively, is not that great for coffee. I've tried all 3 versions including no added sugar, regular, and barista.

This brings me to the second ingredient, phosphates. Again, not fear mongering. Phosphates are in many things we eat and the absorption rate by ingesting them through food is much lower than when used as an additive. At high levels, phosphates can become toxic. I say this because some oat milks, more so barista versions use these too. Both ingredients aren't strangers to some nut milks too.

Ok, I get it, everything we eat is going to kill us (humor/sarcasm) :)

My body doesn't like lactose, so I am starting to look to lactose free milks. Curious on your thoughts.

GDM528

#2: Post by GDM528 »

Considered home-made? water/oats/blender/strain/drink! Also an opportunity to control 'add-ins', dubious and otherwise, to tune the flavor and frothing characteristics.

clokwork (original poster)

#3: Post by clokwork (original poster) »

Thanks! You bring up a great point! Any chance you can point me to all the materials I'd need (cheese cloth etc..) or a starter recipe?

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

I hear what you are saying about the seed oils, perhaps too simple a solution, why not forego real milk and it's analogues?
LMWDP #483

rmongiovi

#5: Post by rmongiovi »

Have you considered lactase?

GDM528

#6: Post by GDM528 »

I'm too early in my journey to offer any DIY advice, but the internet is well-stocked on all sorts of preparation methods - and they're quick reads/views. As for tools, that also runs the gamut from items most kitchens already have on hand, to standalone (and expensive) specialized 'milk' makers with built-in blenders and heating. Easy to go totally nuts here (pun unintended).

Upside is you can engineer exactly what sort of concoction you want for your specific purpose, rather than searching for the closet match on the ready-made market. Homemade can be a bit of a shock however, if one has become accustomed to all the additives and processing methods in mass-market products - but at least you can decide which and how you add back in to get to a familiar place.

bostonbuzz

#7: Post by bostonbuzz »

I'm with you on the oils, I only use olive oil cooking. Oat milk is the tastiest alternative milk IMO next to the recently vilified soy milk. I have a SLIGHT soy allergy so I avoid it- makes my throat tingly.

Oat milk is hard to make at home. You can't just blend oats and filter them, it produces slime. Talk about mouthfeel. You have to only blend it a little bit, but then it's not really milk. If you can figure out the enzyme used in the industrial production to remove the slime that would be neat.

I have made rice milk at home many times. It's very easy. In fact, I used plain rice that I seasoned bulk grinders with on a fine setting (10lbs!). Blend rice with water - done. You can strain it or soak it as well which may produce more homogenous milk. I'd say that would be the cleanest milk you can make. Of course, almond milk or other nut milks would be made similarly but I don't like those for other reasons.
LMWDP #353

StoicDude
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by StoicDude »

My wife bought a machine called Nutr to make her own milk alternatives because she didn't like the ingredient lists on her store bought ones.

The machine is a smart blender in my opinion and comes with a strainer. I'm sure there are others that do about the same job.

It's super easy and has been really good. She does cashew milk. It's about 1 1/3 water, 3 tablespoons of cashews, pinch of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract, teaspoon of honey.

Obviously you can adjust as you please.

It's been really good and keeps about 3 days.

To my surprise, it actually foams up quiet nicely. I'll post some latte art from it tomorrow.

SutterMill

#9: Post by SutterMill »

If you own a Vitamix blender it comes with recipes to make a few alternative milks. There are several online as well.

clokwork (original poster)

#10: Post by clokwork (original poster) replying to SutterMill »

I've been looking for a reason to get one. This might be it. I have a blendtec (older) blender that does alright for smoothies, but any serious cook I know swears by Vitamix.