Alpha Dominche Flask no more?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
ira

Postby ira » Dec 04, 2018, 7:16 pm

Well, looks like this might not happen and maybe no more SteamPunks. Guess we'll learn more in the coming weeks. To bad, it seemed like a really nice device. I saw the prototypes at SCA and they looked and seemed to work as good as promised. Announced to the KS backers 45 minutes ago.

Ira

yakster

Postby yakster » Dec 04, 2018, 7:41 pm

Looks like the end for Alpha Dominche. Their Instagram account is gone now, here's a tribute to them from @legendsworkshop.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq--HwzBrU6/
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jbviau

Postby jbviau » Dec 04, 2018, 10:42 pm

Yes, I was surprised to get that sort of backer update, especially since they seemed to be so close to shipping out the Flasks. In retrospect, I should have known something was up when they started an Indiegogo campaign shortly after the Kickstarter campaign ended. There's some interesting (and, of course, possibly wrongheaded) speculation in the Kickstarter comments to the effect that AD may have violated a non-compete agreement with Bodum...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

yakster

Postby yakster » Dec 06, 2018, 1:20 pm

Daily Coffee News has more in their article here.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to yakster » Dec 06, 2018, 2:19 pm

Thanks. Anyone who's worked with or been inside a startup might recognize the pattern. Sounds familiar to me!
LMWDP #603

tglodjo

Postby tglodjo » Dec 06, 2018, 2:29 pm

Man, this was out of the blue. I was expecting to receive the Flask this month. Really wish they would have given more details in the backer update on how our orders will be resolved.

Marshall

Postby Marshall » Dec 06, 2018, 6:43 pm

Imagine being a shop owner who's invested $10,000 in a Steampunk and now has no source of custom parts (including those glass tubes) or knowledgeable technicians.
Marshall
Los Angeles

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » replying to Marshall » Dec 06, 2018, 8:26 pm

+1

And all the cafes who bought in early when it came out and were plagued with problems. They all got taken off bar and collected dust in storage. Now they're worth even less. In a way, it's even worse than the Clover in that regard.

Mochamaker

Postby Mochamaker » Dec 07, 2018, 3:41 pm

They had a relationship (I should say, I assume they had a relationship) with Todd Carmichael and LaColombe for a while, he posted and raved about their machines all the time on social media. Then he went silent on them and I noticed he was pushing a different brewer. I have always wondered what happened there and if that had any effect on AD?

Almico

Postby Almico » Dec 07, 2018, 5:08 pm

That's a fully-funded project. They are legally bound to fulfill or refund. This should be interesting.