Almond Milk - Barista Series

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
cdrawdy

#1: Post by cdrawdy »

Anyone seen this before?
A local shop just started using this and say it's the best.
I'm working on figuring out where I can purchase it. From what I've found, it seems like a relatively new product, so I may have to purchase it from the coffee shop.

http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/barist ... al.aspx#fs

Bossman

#2: Post by Bossman »

That actually sounds pretty good! looks like Walmart carries their soy version so maybe they will start carrying the almond one too.

SpromoSapiens

#3: Post by SpromoSapiens »

I would love to try this stuff, I will keep an eye out personally. I always found the barista series soy milk to have a strange oily taste. Texture may be better, but taste wise I tended to prefer regular soy and other vegan milks back when i was in the habit of milk drinks at all. Sometimes i crave a sweet decaf macchiato as a dessert treat, though. This might do the trick for that.

UltramaticOrange

#4: Post by UltramaticOrange »

I haven't tried that brand specifically, and I still need to try unsweetened almond milk, but it beats the hell out of soy milk and I can dump regular milk which I have a very mild allergy to.

It steams similarly to 1% or 2% milk.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

akiley

#5: Post by akiley »

I've been hunting for this almond milk as well. I emailed Pacific and they said it's only available from food services. Not sure what that means, but I found no hits with google search. I can't see how to order from their web site either.

BTW: During my recent quest for the best soy milk, my hands down favorite was Pacific Barista Series plain Soy Blenders. For taste and microfoam both. Better latte art than skim. I buy cases of 12 quarts every few months. The two vendors I use for soy don't have their new Almond milk. If Pacific did that well with soy, I'm very keen to try their almond.

damonbowe

#6: Post by damonbowe »

I buy crates of almond milk from costco. Textures pretty well, actually.

SpromoSapiens

#7: Post by SpromoSapiens replying to damonbowe »

which almond milk? Blue Diamond?
In the cafes I've worked & visited, various conventional plain/sweetened soys & almonds have been the norm. Sometimes organic. In my home we always go organic/plain/unsweetened, so that we can use it for cooking too if we want. I see in the link that it's sweetened, but is this barista almond sweet-tasting?

I've always found standard almond to be the hardest to make art with, it separates so quickly. As a barista I took pride in art made with almond, it takes a quick and careful stretch and nearly-instant pour. I'm really very curious how this barista almond performs. I hope to modify my livietta with a Silvia V3 wand in the coming months as well.

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

If you look at the company's site they can help you find a store that sells the product. It's not quite as easy as entering your zip code. You'll see a list of stores but will need to call them and find out if they carry this specific product. I'm sure some will allow you to special order a case.

http://www.pacificfoods.com/food/barist ... ginal.aspx
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

damonbowe

#9: Post by damonbowe »

It is Blue Diamond at Costco in DC.

My sister takes it to the next level by only making it herself using specially sourced organic almonds, which sounds like is up your alley. She sells it directly to people at farmers markets who are also picky eaters. It's actually really easy to make once you have the almonds, and if you have a vitamix--which frankly everyone on this site should have after blowing $2k+ on a coffeemaker. :D

damonbowe

#10: Post by damonbowe »

SpromoSapiens wrote:I've always found standard almond to be the hardest to make art with, it separates so quickly. As a barista I took pride in art made with almond, it takes a quick and careful stretch and nearly-instant pour. I'm really very curious how this barista almond performs. I hope to modify my livietta with a Silvia V3 wand in the coming months as well.
I got better at making almond milk texture when I sucked at texturing milk because I had a tendency to over foam. Because the almond milk is basically water and almond proteins, you can foam it a lot more without having to be too concerned about having bubbles in the way. So basically, keep pushing air into it most of the time.

If you want to turn your regular almond milk into "Pacific barista series" almond milk, blend it with some lecithin to thicken it up. That's all Pacific did. Use whatever lecithin you can find on Amazon, for instance, or just order directly from Bob's Red Mill.

Just a couple suggestions. No need to scour the country for prepackaged mixtures. :D

Here's the ingredients from Pacific:
Almond base (water, almonds)
Dried cane syrup
Carrageenan
Potassium citrate
Sodium citrate
Sea salt
Sunflower lecithin