Advice to All Forum and Non-Forum Sponsors and Vendors

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
thecoffeefield

#1: Post by thecoffeefield »

I just would like to take a minute to give out a piece of advice or even make a wish and implore all coffee vendors who are on the forum (and outside):
Please do not use your business to take sides in the current political debate/environment.

One of the reason I like the forum and coffee discussions in general is that it's a way to unplug. It's a way to discuss coffee and coffee equipment and unite behind something we all share, which is our love and appreciation for coffee. The last thing I want to see while visiting a vendor's web page, Instagram or Facebook, is a post about supporting either side of the political spectrum. Don't get me wrong, on a personal level I think people should support and engage whatever side they are on but using the business as a platform to do so is a huge turnoff for me, the customer. The country is currently badly divided, half of the country support and the other half is protesting, regardless of who's in office.

I don't know how others feel about this but honestly it's getting ridiculous. You turn on your TV to watch a show and politics is involved, you switch the channel to watch a TV award show and politics is involved, you check your Facebook to see what people are up to and people are talking and fighting over politics. I implore our vendors and coffee sellers (and all businesses really) to keep politics where politics belong.

I know some will disagree but that's my 2 cents on this and I thought I'd make it known to businesses that as a customer, I just don't appreciate it.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

thecoffeefield wrote:One of the reason I like the forum and coffee discussions in general is that it's a way to unplug.
Indeed! With that thought in mind, I am pre-emptively putting this thread on cooldown since political discussions frequently spin out of control.
Dan Kehn

Headala

#3: Post by Headala »

Oh yay not on cooldown 8)

Thanks for the post. I agree; let's let coffee bring us together and keep the divisiveness out of it. It's always jarring when you go to buy something and get their politics in your face, regardless of whether or not you agree.

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

No business wants to alienate customers with politics. But specialty coffee (actually all coffee) is a global business that tends to create a global perspective, as shown by the recent unification of the U.S. and European associations. Many coffee businesses have been silent since the Inauguration, but the Executive Order on immigration pushed many to action.

This weekend over 400 shops (so far) will donate their tips to the ACLU (with the owners reimbursing their staff). Look for more, not less, of this in the future. And thank you again to Dan for keeping this site non-political. I hope I haven't violated your rules by reporting an industry perspective.

Sprudge ACLU campaign: http://sprudge.com/a-nationwide-coffee- ... 15163.html.
SCA Statement on the Executive Order: https://sca.coffee/
Marshall
Los Angeles

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

This is a country that prides itself in free speech, a value that I hope both sides share. Often that is expressed by business owners at the risk of losing business, which is their business, so to speak.

I do not share political views as a moderator on this site, which is a volunteer position, for the very purpose identified by the original poster of this thread. I also approach such concerns with discretion in my work as a psychotherapist in order to best assist people on either side of the political divide or who may not want to bring political concerns to that work.

My private discussions are approached gently, with courtesy toward anyone who may disagree. In my work I've learned that people who act and think differently than I do have good reasons based on experiences that are different than mine, even if I don't know them yet. As one of my teachers recently said, "my opinion is very popular with me." I hope more people will develop curiosity about each others' differences, which is the beginning of empathy and a prerequisite for collaborative problem-solving. If I am championing anything, it is that.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

SJM

#6: Post by SJM »

Oh dear.
This thread should have stayed in the cooler.
It's very disheartening to find that there really is nowhere to hide.

johnny4lsu

#7: Post by johnny4lsu »

I agree with the OP. :cry: