The Acorn and the Tree

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

EspressoFest 2006 is approaching, and with EspressoFest, comes new equipment for the attendees to check out. Since Lino and I plan to drive to Charlotte, we'll be hauling hundreds of pounds of heavy metal to Counter Culture's training facility (a few pieces will be shipped directly there). Some of the equipment has already arrived at my house and I'm working the next few days dialing in the temperature, confirming the brew pressure, and learning what I can about them before the event.

Along with the three grinders I plan to bring (two Macaps and a Mini), John Bicht confirmed that a prototype Versalab M3 grinder is en-route. I'm looking forward to hearing its Siren Song in person; stay tuned to learn if Dan can resist its taunts. EspressoFest also has a few surprises in store, some that I've yet to get solid confirmations on. A lot depends on manufacturers' schedules and the equipment sponsors' ability to hustle new equipment out prior to the Big Show. Odds are long on a few of the hopefuls. I'll have the final equipment lineup ready next week. Sadly it looks like the Synesso Cynra will not be on that list. Let's think happy thoughts.

After lunch today I decided to make myself another espresso. Was that the fifth or sixth so far? Weekends are caffeine intense around here. My 8 year-old son commented on the growing number of espresso machines and grinders squatting in the kitchen. He asked about the shiny Macap grinder, which he noted looks much different than our regular Mazzer Mini. Hoping he was showing interest in my hobby, I briefly explained how they compare and why there are so many grinders in our kitchen. He listened politely and appeared to be genuinely curious about my observations. Then as he looked more closely at the grinder, he noticed his reflection and said:
  • Hey papa, I look like Elasta-girl!
He invited me to relive the funhouse mirrors moment with him. Hmm-m, I think that I'll need to defer my dream of him serving his old man an exceptional espresso on request for a few more years.
Dan Kehn