Acaia Scale - Battery Tune-Up Program

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
iploya

#1: Post by iploya »

Just a tip. If you're not getting the battery life you're used to on your Acaia scale, contact their customer service.
You are eligible to participate in our Battery Tune-up program. The program is designed to help customers with older scales that need a battery replacement and tune-up, which we offer free of charge. Customers who would like to participate in this program will be responsible for shipping their scale to and from our service center. We have attached a document that outlines what is included in the Battery Tune-up program.
The battery life on my Luna had gotten so bad that I was about ready to chunk it and go find a $50 Amazon special. I actually sent it in once before not long ago for battery issues, but at the time they determined the board and USB connector needed replacement. The battery life remained bad. This time the battery got replaced and it's much better now.

Auctor

#2: Post by Auctor »

Thanks for the heads up. How old is your Lunar, and how often do you charge it?

I've had mine for ~14 months and have only charged it twice during that period. Assuming a standard lithium battery has 200-300 cycles, I'd in theory be good for 100 years. :P

iploya (original poster)

#3: Post by iploya (original poster) »

Auctor wrote:How old is your Lunar, and how often do you charge it?
Longer than I realized. Apparently in mid-2017 according to my e-mail receipt.

When the battery was going bad, it seemed like I got a low charge indicator every 1-2 weeks. There was rarely enough warning to even finish the morning espresso.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Are you saying they will replace the battery for free outside of the two year warranty?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Carmd1281

#5: Post by Carmd1281 »

Just checked my receipts and I ordered Lunar model April 8th 2015.... Didn't realize how old mine was either!! I don't charge mine until it is dead and only make a few drinks a day but the thing is still running like a champ. My rough estimate is I charge it only a few times a year.

Thanks for sharing this information OP. It is good to know for when the time comes!

Edit: Lunar not Pearl
Carm
New York, NY

iploya (original poster)

#6: Post by iploya (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Are you saying they will replace the battery for free outside of the two year warranty?
I cannot say for sure what qualified me. But note, I did previously pay $53 (including parts and service) earlier in the year for fixing the board and USB outside of the 2-year warranty. Then when I inquired about the continuing problems with battery life after getting the scale back, this was the text of their determination:

Thank you for contacting us at Acaia and we are sorry you are seeing issues with your Lunar scale again. We do see in our records that this scale was last serviced on February 27th, 2020 and will take extra care when you send it back to us for testing and repairs.

You are eligible to participate in our Battery Tune-up program. The program is designed to help customers with older scales that need a battery replacement and tune-up, which we offer free of charge. Customers who would like to participate in this program will be responsible for shipping their scale to and from our service center. We have attached a document that outlines what is included in the Battery Tune-up program.

Once your scale arrives at our service center, we will give it a full tune-up. If there are no other issues outside of a battery replacement, we will issue you an invoice for the return shipping once the repair is complete and your scale is ready to be sent back to you.

Of course, I paid for shipping both ways, which was probably around $30.

AssafL

#7: Post by AssafL »

Don't throw it away!

You know you could open the thing and just replace the battery with any LiIon battery pack you buy on eBay (which they ship in all kinds of fake electronics to get around LiIon shipping restrictions).

You'll need the connector so just cut the wires, solder the new ones and voila...
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Billythec

#8: Post by Billythec »

It's true. My battery swelled up so large that it made the scale in operable. They did replace it free of charge and they turned it around pretty quickly. However it would be super simple to just buy another battery pack on eBay and do it yourself so quickly.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by yakster »

Probably much easer than the time I tried to change the battery on my old iPhone 5. It never powered up again.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272