Acaia Lunar flow mode

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
nixter

#1: Post by nixter »

Recently purchased a Lunar (non 2021) and I'm finding the flow mode to be quite useless and flaky. It doesn't start the timer on first drip, it waits until it senses a continuous flow. I even confirmed that this behavior is intentional with Acaia. Does anyone else find this strange? I'd like my shot timer to start upon first drip, or at least have the option. To make matters worse, it doesn't even always detect flow properly and won't start until mid shot. Not what I'd expect for this much money.

schwaggy

#2: Post by schwaggy »

Have you updated the firmware? Pretty old at this point but maybe yours had an older version installed.
https://acaia.co/blogs/news/new-lunar-firmware-2-6-003
On mine, the timer and flow detection is fairly spot-on and immediate.

DamianWarS

#3: Post by DamianWarS »

nixter wrote:Recently purchased a Lunar (non 2021) and I'm finding the flow mode to be quite useless and flaky. It doesn't start the timer on first drip, it waits until it senses a continuous flow. I even confirmed that this behavior is intentional with Acaia. Does anyone else find this strange? I'd like my shot timer to start upon first drip, or at least have the option. To make matters worse, it doesn't even always detect flow properly and won't start until mid shot. Not what I'd expect for this much money.
It's a little off at times that's for sure. It's supposed to be geared for espresso use and so the flow sensitivity is somehow dialed into that. Espresso machines can have a lot of vibrations and I think it's design to interpret what a weight fluxuation is and what a vibration fluxuation. It may do a better job at this if you eliminate vibrations like if it's own stand that doesn't touch the machine. It doesn't bother me because my machine has its own flow control/shot timer. The main thing for me is the weight.

pcdawson

#4: Post by pcdawson »

Does anyone know if the flow mode is simply a firmware upgrade that you can add to a pre 2020/21 model? Or is there new hardware as well?

schwaggy

#5: Post by schwaggy replying to pcdawson »

Not sure what you mean... the original has the flow mode feature.
https://acaia.co/collections/coffee-sca ... 2024857778
Unless perhaps you're referring to the flow rate indicator in the 2021 model?

nixter (original poster)

#6: Post by nixter (original poster) »

Firmware is up to date.

nixter (original poster)

#7: Post by nixter (original poster) »

DamianWarS wrote:It's a little off at times that's for sure. It's supposed to be geared for espresso use and so the flow sensitivity is somehow dialed into that. Espresso machines can have a lot of vibrations and I think it's design to interpret what a weight fluxuation is and what a vibration fluxuation. It may do a better job at this if you eliminate vibrations like if it's own stand that doesn't touch the machine. It doesn't bother me because my machine has its own flow control/shot timer. The main thing for me is the weight.
My Bianca has a shot timer as well but it starts from "lever up". I assumed "flow mode" would start at first drip but I guess it starts when it senses continuous flow, as the name suggests.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Have you adjusted the Auto Start Sensitivity

Auto-Start Sensitivity [ SEnSE ]
1. Minimum weight is decreased for more sensitivity. This is ideal for slower espresso shots in the
modes. Stability depends on environmental noise. The previous firmware started the timer at ~0.6 g into an espresso shot.
2. The number indicates the sensitivity of flow detection in the modes. Smaller value indicates higher sensitivity, but is recommended only for stable working environments.

0.1 g, 0.2 g, Off

Within the setting choices in the manual, you might discover other options you like as well. For example, have you turned off the modes you don't use?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

One other thing if you are new to Lunar.

Do NOT steam with the Lunar on the drip tray. They aren't waterproof from the underside.

Do NOT charge with some high powered charger. Use a small 2.1amp (smallest Apple or Android) charger.

Your battery will thank you in a few years.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

nixter (original poster)

#10: Post by nixter (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Have you adjusted the Auto Start Sensitivity

Auto-Start Sensitivity [ SEnSE ]
1. Minimum weight is decreased for more sensitivity. This is ideal for slower espresso shots in the
modes. Stability depends on environmental noise. The previous firmware started the timer at ~0.6 g into an espresso shot.
2. The number indicates the sensitivity of flow detection in the modes. Smaller value indicates higher sensitivity, but is recommended only for stable working environments.

0.1 g, 0.2 g, Off

Within the setting choices in the manual, you might discover other options you like as well. For example, have you turned off the modes you don't use?

Thank you, sounds like this might be the issue/solution