Acaia Lunar flow mode - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Ken5

#11: Post by Ken5 »

Let us know how the setting change works for you.

I am not in the know, but I think it is programmed to avoid a single drip. I never used the mode that detects flow, but after reading your post a few weeks ago I put my lunar in the detect mode and manually dripped water droplets on the scale. Single drops did not start the timer even though they did register as weight on the scale.

I used to use auto tare with auto start, which started the timer when the new weight of the added cup tared to zero. I used to mentally keep track of the preinfusion and deducted it from the auto stop time. I have since changed to scale mode only and downloaded the se profiler app and have never gone back. You can't use the auto tare and auto stop modes with it, neither can you with the acaia app!

Press start in the app and the graph activates. When you are done you have a graph that show when the first drops hit the cup, when the flow really starts, and when it ends. Never went back to the auto modes. Give it a shot.

Here is my graph in g/s from this morning, you can see the first drop at 13.3 seconds. I started pressing the levers at 15.7.

Here is the same graph shown in Weight mode

Just an added note to help understand the graph. I use a robot which is totally manual and when I get to the g/s value that I am looking for for the particular bean I let up on the levers till the g/s levels out. If you look at the second graph you will see that it flattens the weight scale. If I had the pressure profiler you would see this with a red line on the same graph.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#12: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

New scale owners might want to read this thread as well as the manual.

Lunar Scale Owners- which of the six modes do you use?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

nixter (original poster)

#13: Post by nixter (original poster) replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Interesting! Were those descriptions straight from the manual or website? I don't recall them being so clear. It seems that I should be using mode 4 to detect the first drop.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#14: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to nixter »

Can't recall but I do know I have 2 modes on and 4 off and the scale is really easy to use and suits my needs. I am not a data to the .1 person. So it gives mean excellent feedback for my needs. So it is important to use the modes you need and follow the other hints I have provided here, especially the battery ones.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Ken5

#15: Post by Ken5 »

nixter wrote:Interesting! Were those descriptions straight from the manual or website? I don't recall them being so clear. It seems that I should be using mode 4 to detect the first drop.
What mode were you on? You must have been on mode 4 if flow started at all on the flow.

Here is the link to the non 2021 Lunar scale. Only a quick start was included with the scale.

https://cdn.acaia.co/web/doc/manuals/lu ... 605_EN.pdf

nixter (original poster)

#16: Post by nixter (original poster) replying to Ken5 »

I was using the first flow mode, 3.

Ken5

#17: Post by Ken5 »

Ah, forgot about auto tare with flow mode. I was using timer mode with auto tare and it worked great for that, but found that the auto tare got in the way for other uses and switched to mode 1 for everything else.

I noticed today that not all first drops weigh enough to change scale to 0.1, so not all first drops show up on seprofiler.