Acaia Lunar - defective display protector?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
booey91

#1: Post by booey91 »

Hi there,

I just got my set of these only to open them and see an awful lot of air bubbles on the display protector (see screenshot below). I've taken it up with the retailer and they said that this happens on all of the units... Surely not though? Completely spoils the look of the product.

Has anyone else had this experience? Or are yours clear of air bubbles?

EspressoZaddy

#2: Post by EspressoZaddy »

That is just a point of sale screen protector. Now it's time for you to remove it like a normal person.

TigerStripes

#3: Post by TigerStripes »

I would assume that's just a shipping protector that you're supposed to remove.
LMWDP #715

erik82

#4: Post by erik82 »

This is normal. And they include screen protectors but after a couple of weeks of use they look like that. Or accept it and use the screenprotector or take it off and do it without. Still love mine after over 3 years of daily use.

booey91 (original poster)

#5: Post by booey91 (original poster) »

Okay ignore me haha, apologies for my stupid moment. I read this post - - on reddit about Acaia Pearl scales and auto applied that logic to these thinking that it was something that shouldn't be removed.

rajbangsa

#6: Post by rajbangsa »

My black pearl S came with nice film protector, no need to peel it off for a while I guess

You can't notice it if you aren't looking closely :D

JakiChan

#7: Post by JakiChan »

rajbangsa wrote:My black pearl S came with nice film protector, no need to peel it off for a while I guess

You can't notice it if you aren't looking closely :D
As I learned today, the Pearl is supposed to have that and you can even buy replacements. But on the Lunar it's just a shipping protector.

schwaggy

#8: Post by schwaggy replying to JakiChan »

Is is not just a shipping protector. I'm not sure if they still include them, but with the original Lunar release, Acaia included 3 protective strips to be applied over the control area of the scale. They all bubble like that. Eventually I think mine settled down. I still have 2 of the 3 strips left so I guess I've never been compelled to replace it after what must be 3 or 4 years.

Ken5

#9: Post by Ken5 »

Mine is like that, I asked Acaia if it was meant to be left on and the response was yes, it was meant to be left on as the plastic scratches easily.

Guess it is individual choice, but there were reviews that I read that stated how easily the plastic scratches. I would rather have bubbles than scratches.

erik82

#10: Post by erik82 »

Because of the bubbles I took it off after a year. I use my Lunar for 2-3 pourovers and 2-6 espresso a day and after using it for 3 years without the protector it's still like new without any scratches. I do need to say my machine won't spray hot water over it every espresso I make.

Same with mobile phones as we put screen protectors on it which do have a negative impact on function. Modern Gorilla glass on most phones is so hard and scratch resistant that I completely stopped using screen protectors and never had problems wth scratches. No more dust gathering around the edges and a better functioning phone.