Yemeni Coffees - Page 12

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#111: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Jared, I had a much different roast. This is was my first roast with this bean and my temps are a mess still since switching to RTDs and dropping my symbolic offset. Everything that was second nature is now like 49th nature. I obviously had too much heat for these beans and my repeated gas reductions came too late. I rarely do roasts longer than 11:30 but mine went 12:18. In contrast Mike went 8:.27 total.

So let me confuse you.

Michael Mike
5:36 45.5% | 4:09 49.1%
4:51 39.4% | 2:30 29.6%
1:51 15.0% | 1:48 21.3%

So what have we learned so far. I am guessing not a lot.

What I can say is take a look at the Comparator for the roasts I did that day. NORMALLY the Comparator is best for the same bean but it can also spot outliers in how they behave if you are generally in roasting with a similar protocol. Check out the blue line, which is the Yemen. It too longer to Dry, longer to FC. Can't explain it right now. Will hope to improve on next roast of this, but happy with what I got.

EDIT:
Note - I used this coffee in a blend. I was happy to let the middle phase run, but honestly didn't expect it to go that long -
See the thread: What coffees are you blending? - Theory and Practice
See the article that states:Adding a little extra time to your drying phase is truly the key to roasting a pre-blended coffee. The extra time allows you to better "normalize" all the components so that when you enter into 1st Crack they're all start cracking together. You definitely don't want to try to extend the time during 1st Crack itself, this could easily lead to the stalling of caramelization and baked flavors. We're also not talking about a lot of time here, more like 30 seconds to a minute or so depending on how much brightness you want to see in the coffee. If this is for an espresso, then even a little more time on the drying phase can really help push the sweetness of the blend.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Jrodanapolis

#112: Post by Jrodanapolis »

Thanks Michael! That is a lot of great information. It'll take me awhile to digest all of that. I'll be using this for SO pourovers to start, but working on a PID for the Gaggia Classic and will start blending. As new as I am to the world of roasting, I've been just trying to get the best profile for each individual bean and the world of blending and espresso seem a bit daunting to me right now.

It seems like you're both keeping the development time fairly short. I do like some brightness to my coffees so I'll stay right around where you guys are. I'm not sure I'm skilled enough yet to get my second phase as long as yours... still learning how to work with that phase. I'll probably shoot for something like a 5-3-2 profile to start, since Mike said a little less heat in the first phase.

I'll report back when I have a curve for you guys to critique and will keep reading and following you two in the meantime. Thanks again for the comments and assistance!

Rustic39

#113: Post by Rustic39 »

Ok, you folks have me excited about trying the Yemen origin. I only recently have started home roasting on the stovetop using a " Hive" roaster. Results with Guatemalan and Ethoipians have been encouraging. I already had placed and order several days ago with Marias for some of the Mokha Matari, when I came across this thread today.

So is this one I ordered a good place to start trying this origin from? Would a City + be a good roast to begin with for trying it as both drip and espresso? I generally prefer this roast for drip, but am more flexible with espresso, as long as I can get a balanced taste.

Any suggestions on other current offerings of greens I should explore?

Thanks

mkane
Supporter ♡

#114: Post by mkane »

Just finished this roast after daily mountain bike ride.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#115: Post by mkane »

I don't know why that black border shows up :?:

Jrodanapolis

#116: Post by Jrodanapolis »

mkane wrote:Just finished this roast after daily mountain bike ride.
You really know how to make that roaster do exactly what you want, don't you? :lol:

Looks great, as always. And you clearly reduced your first phase heat. When you get a chance to try it let us know. I'll start with what you say is the best of your profiles so far.

Any reason you took it longer into development this time? I like my brightness, so I was thinking your MSK645 DT of 1:45ish sounded about right but I see you took this one ~30s longer than that.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#117: Post by mkane »

Honestly, I should/would have dropped it sooner if I was paying attention to time. I was letting it run to see if it was going to do anything silly, hence the 8°f RoR in the dev phase. I ground some an hour ago and about to make an espresso with it.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#118: Post by mkane »

I didn't grind it fine enough. A few more clicks and we will give it another shot.

It was good don't get me wrong. As of late all the coffee is good compared to what I used to roast. I'm an expert on detecting roast defects. I'm one of those crazy's who can't wait to go to bed just to get up in the morning and go through the ritual of making our first cup. My wife is first as she needs to get out the door and head for the pool. I get her lunch ready if it's an obvious choice. My first cup goes down fairly quick but there small cups, a couple hundred grams. Second cup gets analyzed hot to cold. Third & 4th I'll mix it up. maybe a coffee from Peru and one from Guatemala :lol:

Look at the date I joined HB. Almost 2 years ago and just now starting to get a handle on it. For quite some time I was putting blame on the machine. Nope, operator error.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#119: Post by mkane »

Second espresso, finer grind, 1 hr de-gas. I'm pleased. I'll let it rest for a bit.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#120: Post by mkane »

Rustic39 wrote:Ok, you folks have me excited about trying the Yemen origin. I only recently have started home roasting on the stovetop using a " Hive" roaster. Results with Guatemalan and Ethoipians have been encouraging. I already had placed and order several days ago with Marias for some of the Mokha Matari, when I came across this thread today.

So is this one I ordered a good place to start trying this origin from? Would a City + be a good roast to begin with for trying it as both drip and espresso? I generally prefer this roast for drip, but am more flexible with espresso, as long as I can get a balanced taste.

Any suggestions on other current offerings of greens I should explore?

Thanks
That roast of mine was from Sweet Marias. Seems like an easy roasting bean sitting here.