Which is the better roaster BC-300 or Mill City 066

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Vision76

#1: Post by Vision76 »

I have been roasting for over a year in a skillet and would like to try to start selling coffee . I have done a lot of research and and looking at the bc 300 from buckeye roaster or 066 from mill city both cost around 3000 which one is the best thanks for the help

SJM

#2: Post by SJM »

This thread might be helpful

BC-300 Roaster

Bob_M

#3: Post by Bob_M »

In the topic title you list TJ 067 whereas in the text you indicate TJ 066.

Balthazar_B

#4: Post by Balthazar_B »

99.999% sure it's a typo in the title. How I wish the 067 were only $3000! :P
- John

LMWDP # 577

RobertL

#5: Post by RobertL »

I don't own nor have I roasted on either of these roaster but they look pretty similar. If I were in your situation I would choose to buy from Mill City because of their excellent reputation and customer service. Both Steve and Dave are active members here and are always willing to answer question or help out. Going from a skillet to a gas drum roaster is a big jump, you'll need that support.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by hankua »

Vision76 wrote:I have been roasting for over a year in a skillet and would like to try to start selling coffee . I have done a lot of research and and looking at the bc 300 from buckeye roaster or 066 from mill city both cost around 3000 which one is the best thanks for the help
OK, so have you done a comparison on these two machines? Drum material, air flow controls, drum speed, heat controls, ease of cleaning, etc, etc. Apart from a head to head comparison, what separates them and what feature are pretty similar.

If the two machines are pretty neck and neck, which dealer is giving the best deal/discount; is there a demo you snag, can you pick it up and save some cash? Picking up your machine in person is the very best way to purchase, for a number of reasons.

The flip side to that is self-importing a machine for a considerable savings (and no local support); requires due-digilence.

Vision76 (original poster)

#7: Post by Vision76 (original poster) »

Thanks for all the help i am having a hard time deciding I am also looking at the Huky for the Huky and everything i think i will need pulse shipping it is 1800 . I just dont want to get the Huky then start selling coffee and buy another bigger roaster in less than a year im going to make a decision soon any help would be welcome. Brian

keno

#8: Post by keno »

RobertL wrote:I don't own nor have I roasted on either of these roaster but they look pretty similar. If I were in your situation I would choose to buy from Mill City because of their excellent reputation and customer service. Both Steve and Dave are active members here and are always willing to answer question or help out. Going from a skillet to a gas drum roaster is a big jump, you'll need that support.
I can vouch for the excellent customer service I've received from Randy at Buckeye Coffee who sells the BC line of roasters (I own a BC-600 or now labeled the BC-2). Choose based on the machine that suits you best.

markmark1

#9: Post by markmark1 »

Unless it's selling to a FEW friends, the capacity of the two will be too small and you will be spending a LOT of time roasting.

If you are thinking farmers market type of endeavor, you want a larger capacity.

Just my $0.02.

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

I would recommend picking up the phone and talking to both of the vendors. Both have a good history of very good customer support. The Mill City guys have more documented support/compliments here on HB, but Buckeye is smaller and has sold less, so you shouldn't see as much written, but his support is equally good. He sold a very large 15 pounder to a friend of mine here in the Bay Area and the whole process including advice and after purchase tech support has been excellent.

You're buying the vendor as much as the machine, so I'd personally go with whatever machine more closely matches what you think you'll want/need. I'd even ignore price differences, since you'll only be buying a roaster like this once, it will pay dividends down the line to get the right roaster from the very get-go.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/