When to grind?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Brevvery

Postby Brevvery » Jan 12, 2019, 8:09 pm

I just roasted a small batch of Mexican Terruno for a friend without a grinder. He asked for a fine grind (not espresso).

When is the optimal time to grind and re-seal in its mason jar?
Should it "off-gas" before or after grinding?

Mbb

Postby Mbb » Jan 13, 2019, 1:31 am

Best time to grind is immediately before brewing. Like mere seconds before, not even minutes.

Most offgas for 24 -48 hrs before consuming. I will drink immediately in a pinch, but coffee is better in a day or so.

padollman

Postby padollman » Jan 13, 2019, 1:53 am

I feel like the grinding will accelerate the offgassing so I'd just grind as soon as you like post roast.

I've experimented with grinding a dose 20 mins ahead of pulling it with one/ two days post roast which makes it 'act' like a better rested coffee, my guess is even ground immediately post roast then stuck in a mason jar it'll be good to go by the time your buddy needs it, I'm curious to know the answer in real life though!

Really though, friends don't let friends use pre ground coffee ;)

Mbb

Postby Mbb » replying to padollman » Jan 13, 2019, 1:41 pm

Problem is it increases oxygen exposure a million-fold, introducing rapid degradation as well as loss of desireable volatile aromatic and flavor compounds.

What occurs in coffee as it rests isnt just offgassing of CO2, desireable reactions that affect taste are still occurring. Some swear by up to week to rest. It depends on coffee, i can tell slight difference with some, less with others between 0-2 days. I dont hesitate to drink it immediately if Im out.

Brevvery

Postby Brevvery » Jan 13, 2019, 10:01 pm

[quote="Mbb"]Best time to grind is immediately before brewing. Like mere seconds before, not even minutes.

This is not an option here.

Brevvery

Postby Brevvery » Jan 13, 2019, 10:12 pm

padollman wrote:I feel like the grinding will accelerate the offgassing so I'd just grind as soon as you like post roast.

I've experimented with grinding a dose 20 mins ahead of pulling it with one/ two days post roast which makes it 'act' like a better rested coffee, my guess is even ground immediately post roast then stuck in a mason jar it'll be good to go by the time your buddy needs it, I'm curious to know the answer in real life though!

Really though, friends don't let friends use pre ground coffee ;)

I did grind to spec for this friend just one day after roast and the aroma underwhelmed me, as you'd expect. I get my best results here after 2-3 days with whole beans. I'm still curious to see if the off-gassing effect accelerates or diminishes the result on pre-ground beans...

Brevvery

Postby Brevvery » Jan 13, 2019, 10:31 pm

"What occurs in coffee as it rests inst just off gassing of CO2, desirable reactions that affect taste are still occurring. Some swear by up to week to rest. It depends on coffee, i can tell slight difference with some, less with others between 0-2 days. I don't hesitate to drink it immediately if Im out."

My issue is that I never have pre-grinded before this, and now that I want to gift some "pre-grind", I am hoping that I didn't pre-grind too early before the off gassing and flavor development occurred, or will this still develop post-grind?

Brevvery

Postby Brevvery » Jan 13, 2019, 10:35 pm

Mbb wrote:Best time to grind is immediately before brewing. Like mere seconds before, not even minutes.

Most offgas for 24 -48 hrs before consuming. I will drink immediately in a pinch, but coffee is better in a day or so.

In my world, I grind 3o seconds before brewing, but this batch is accommodating a friend. He is a stubborn Italian :roll:

Mbb

Postby Mbb » replying to Brevvery » Jan 14, 2019, 3:49 am

Well if hes used to drinking months old stale oxidized store bought crud, like most people, it will still be a step up most likely.