What's a light roast? - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
false1001

#61: Post by false1001 »

Almico wrote:The Agtron 80+ sample roasts I received from Nordic Approach were done on a Probat drum sample roaster.
To be fair, Probatinos are essentially air roasters with a drum for agitation

Almico

#62: Post by Almico »

Not a probatino, a traditional double-barreled sample roaster.

Advertisement
false1001

#63: Post by false1001 replying to Almico »

Ah, gotchya

Almico

#64: Post by Almico »

I tried a 1# roast tonight on the 5kg roaster. I used Devlins roast as a template. I killed the heat too early in fear of flicking with such a small batch. Next time I'll make the adjustment. This roast measures 79/90 on my RR.

Rush

#65: Post by Rush »

It's been said already, but I would to reiterate how much we appreciate your posts Alan. I have struggled with crash and flick for over a year, and your posts are helping my understanding quite a bit. It's obviously not the only reason your posts are helpful, but wanted to provide an example of what I appreciate. Thanks!

crunchybean

#66: Post by crunchybean »

My uneducated advice: charge lower and try not to peak ET until you're in yellow. And again I am not sure but I still feel you want to your development to look slightly slower ROR than the Millard (in a 18-23*F/min).

How I think about it is for an even bean development you are going so fast that the bean surface development is going to be pushed into the development phase. Basically more like how your DP Ethiopian profile looks. But made for your WP El Salvador. Really dancing in the fire at the end of the roast using those high temps to quickly develop the flavor and then stop the roast right before the bubble pops. Try a 50%/30%/20% with a 360 +/- 5*F charge, drop 8:45-9:30 but within 15s of 1st. You'll know it's good by the nose.

Chert

#67: Post by Chert »

Ethiopia Wachu, Guji continues to please roasted light. I went with the high air mode, trying to convectionize my Huky: With the higher convection, the RoRpeaks higherwith a much steepr drop to the 45 sec drop post 1Cs. i would miss the short dev intended if testing the tryer so I just went for it. Post roast bean crunch suggests this may give the sweet tangerine mango peach type flavors I have been getting from an earlier effort, second graph of lower air and higher heat setting

LMWDP #198

Advertisement
sversimo

#68: Post by sversimo »

Almico wrote:The Agtron 80+ sample roasts I received from Nordic Approach were done on a Probat drum sample roaster.
It must have been a long time ago if it was roasted on a Probat, they use 3 x ROEST sample roaster today at the Nordic Approach HQ 8)

Almico

#69: Post by Almico replying to sversimo »

It was about 4 months ago. At the time they were just starting to mix in the Roest, but my samples were done on the Probat.

sversimo

#70: Post by sversimo replying to Almico »

Could it have been more than 4 months ago? Their probat has been disconnected since august last year.

Anyways, I was only curious. We just had a photoshoot with Nordic Approach today and we will write a blog post about how they use ROEST for all their sample roasting.

/Sverre