What's a light roast? - Page 18

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert
Supporter

#171: Post by Chert »

crunchybean wrote:I don't think there can be a conclusive answer. I drop my beans anywhere from 5-15s after the first pop of first crack. (You read that right) What metric alone do you think can really sum up a roast by itself: bean color, development time(the worst metric*), crema color, moisture loss? Possibly an accumulation of all the variables assessed by the roaster. If you say it's a light roast I'll believe you, and if you say it tastes good, I'll take your word for it too.

*DTR is a terrible marker for determining roast level because a good profile is based on total heat application and (imho) if you just roast the beans longer it speaks nothing to how you navigated the heat setting during the cracks. Although it is a metric as part of looking at the whole roast.
Why the heck not, i'll try that too. The 11-14% DTR roasts I am enjoying seem more developed in color and taste than I would have expected from experience prior to trying it, so AUC or total heat application does seem to be an important metric.
LMWDP #198

now more than ever

Denis

#172: Post by Denis »

Today tried Ethiopia Rocko Mountain natural 2019 crop roasted by Good Karma Coffee. This is a bright roast, roasted for filter. Compared to really light nordic roasts, it's just a tiny hair over what I would like, but still a delicious coffee, specially in the 3rd week post roast.

La Peppina, 13g in/32g out=10.3 TDS- 25.3 % EY.

Good taste, rich mouthfeel.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#173: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

@Almico or others here, new question same topic.

If one wishes to obtain a light roast from a local roaster, how would you phrase the question to them so that there was some objectivity in their response (assuming they are honest with it)? What I mean is that some roasters like Dragonfly might just point me to the coffee they label light. Others that don't label their coffee light, med, dark, might just choose the lightest.

So should I ask for Agtron Gourmet Scale of 85? or more? or ????
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

crunchybean

#174: Post by crunchybean » replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

To not really answer your question; I think its less important the roast level vs the flavor experience. In my experience, if I roast lighter there will be sharper acidic notes, if those acidic notes do not develop into an acidic flavor like citrus juices (lemon,orange, etc) then it is a light roast but under developed. Floral notes I have also seen in my lighter roasts (but not always), but regardless I care less about what roast level it is vs the flavor notes I like and I buy accordingly.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#175: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Thanks Phil. Part of my purpose it to test my equipment with a light roast. I'll take my chances if it's a quality roaster.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___

pcrussell50

#176: Post by pcrussell50 »

If it is well developed...

It is that which requires long slow pre infusion to mute the acidity and unmask the other flavor notes. Duh! :wink:

"I can't tell you what color it is, but I know it when I taste it."

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Almico
Supporter ❤

#177: Post by Almico »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:@Almico or others here, new question same topic.

If one wishes to obtain a light roast from a local roaster, how would you phrase the question to them so that there was some objectivity in their response (assuming they are honest with it)? What I mean is that some roasters like Dragonfly might just point me to the coffee they label light. Others that don't label their coffee light, med, dark, might just choose the lightest.

So should I ask for Agtron Gourmet Scale of 85? or more? or ????
Any roaster worth their salt will have a way of QCing roast level. A Roast Rite costs a whopping $1200. If you're in the business of roasting, you should have at least that, of not a Color Track or Agtron.

So yes, I would ask for not only the whole bean roast level, but the ground level as well. The spread will give you an idea of the development. It is not unusual to have a wider spread on lighter coffee.

Here's the second of an interesting video series by GH:

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#178: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Alan, thanks that's what I just did with Cartel Coffee Lab in PHX. See what they say. If I can't get something local, I look elsewhere.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___

mathof

#179: Post by mathof »

Almico wrote:So yes, I would ask for not only the whole bean roast level, but the ground level as well. The spread will give you an idea of the development. It is not unusual to have a wider spread on lighter coffee.

Coffee Review gives two Agtron readings for each coffee they review in the format outside/ground. Click on an entry to get the figures:

https://www.coffeereview.com/types/espresso/

The degree of difference between the two figures is often so substantial that a coffee might read Moderately Dark outside and Light Medium when ground.