What's a light roast? - Page 18

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert
Supporter ♡

#171: Post by Chert » Jun 27, 2019, 10:11 am

crunchybean wrote:I don't think there can be a conclusive answer. I drop my beans anywhere from 5-15s after the first pop of first crack. (You read that right) What metric alone do you think can really sum up a roast by itself: bean color, development time(the worst metric*), crema color, moisture loss? Possibly an accumulation of all the variables assessed by the roaster. If you say it's a light roast I'll believe you, and if you say it tastes good, I'll take your word for it too.

*DTR is a terrible marker for determining roast level because a good profile is based on total heat application and (imho) if you just roast the beans longer it speaks nothing to how you navigated the heat setting during the cracks. Although it is a metric as part of looking at the whole roast.
Why the heck not, i'll try that too. The 11-14% DTR roasts I am enjoying seem more developed in color and taste than I would have expected from experience prior to trying it, so AUC or total heat application does seem to be an important metric.

Denis

#172: Post by Denis » Aug 29, 2019, 11:03 am

Today tried Ethiopia Rocko Mountain natural 2019 crop roasted by Good Karma Coffee. This is a bright roast, roasted for filter. Compared to really light nordic roasts, it's just a tiny hair over what I would like, but still a delicious coffee, specially in the 3rd week post roast.

La Peppina, 13g in/32g out=10.3 TDS- 25.3 % EY.

Good taste, rich mouthfeel.