What Are Your Most Satisfying, "Best Value," and Most Disappointing Green Coffees? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Ken Fox (original poster)

#11: Post by Ken Fox (original poster) »

AndyS wrote:So when did you switch from making espresso to making espresso? Is this a French thing? How has the flavor profile changed?
I don't spend any time in Paris, where (hopefully) the situation is better.

I have yet to have a coffee beverage of any kind in France, that if I were home I would not have tossed down the drain and made a new one.

They can call it "espresso" if they wish, but I call it "swill."

Fondly,

ken
:P
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

SJM

#12: Post by SJM »

Ken Fox wrote: (1) In my "Most Satisfying" category, the hands-down winner is "Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Adado Coop," purchased from both Miguel at Paradise Roasters and from Klatch Coffee Roasters. I believe this is ultimately from the identical source. This coffee, roasted to the onset of 2nd crack or a bit lighter, has never failed to produce an interesting, multidimensional cup. It was not exactly cheap, but not exactly expensive, either. I still have about 20 lbs of it left and continue to enjoy the results I'm getting from it, more than 6 months after the first batch of green that I received.

ken
Thanks for the suggestion, Ken.
And, thanks to HB and to Klatch Coffee for my Holiday Delight.
Today I ordered 2 pounds of the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Adado Coop green beans, and as if that isn't going to be special enough, I will get a free pound of Belle Espresso.

What a deal !

Susan

sehrgut

#13: Post by sehrgut »

My current "Most Satisfying" is something you need to buy from SweetMaria's before they run out: their '04 Aged Mandheling. This coffee has a phenomenal body in the cup, and really roasts up exactly as the cupping notes say. I've never had a bad experience buying from Tom, but this is the first coffee that I've purchased again when I ran out, rather than trying something new. And the way I like to always try something new, that's saying something!

Everman

#14: Post by Everman »

Jacu Bird was the best value this year if you were looking for something avian picked and processed, certainly beats the cat stuff...

jkling17

#15: Post by jkling17 »

>> They are Yemen Ismaili and Aged Sumatra Lintong, both purchased from the Green Bean Coop

I can't seem to find the Green Bean Coop anywhere via Google searches. What's the URL?

Thanks!

Jeff

Ken Fox (original poster)

#16: Post by Ken Fox (original poster) replying to jkling17 »

http://www.greencoffee.coop/

You have to join before you can buy anything. Offerings are sporadic and usually sell out within hours or days. You are generally limited to 15lbs of any particular offering, however they often will offer the same coffee several times so there is the possibility to get more than that. Sales for commercial usage are prohibited.

At the moment, they have nothing for sale.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

mrgnomer

#17: Post by mrgnomer »

Most satisfying- good quality Harrar. Blueberry fields.
Least satisfying- bad Harrar. Flat. No blueberries.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

pauljolly65

#18: Post by pauljolly65 »

Everman wrote:Jacu Bird was the best value this year if you were looking for something avian picked and processed, certainly beats the cat stuff...
That was a good cuppa, and not just a gimmick--although I didn't try it as espresso. The one that's blown me away, cup after cup (again, not as espresso but as drip) has been the Guatemalan Buena Vista Gesha. I had two pounds of it and one of Aida's Grand Reserve, and the Gesha won out. Tons of floral sweetness and perfect balance. I only wish there were more...

Paul

Niko

#19: Post by Niko »

Everman wrote:Jacu Bird was the best value this year if you were looking for something avian picked and processed, certainly beats the cat stuff...
This was an awesome bean. I tried it as espresso and it was really nice.

Rainman

#20: Post by Rainman »

I bought an Ethiopian Harrar from a greencoffeebuyingclub distro about 2 yrs ago that had been the easiest to roast to draw out the blueberries. Since then, the only other coffee I've had good consistent roasts from has been that 2006 Yemen Mokha Sana'ani (same distributing source, but we think it was the same one bought through Cafe Imports that got some great reviews as roasted by Coffee Emergency). I still have around 10 lbs of it, and it works great as an espresso SO or blended 50/50 w/ Brazil Poco Fundo-- it's been my favorite. I just bought two more coffees that sound promising (arrived yesterday); a dry processed Yirg and an organic Sidamo, both from Sweet Maria's.

My least favorite (it's all relative) would have to be a Java Estate "Prince G1" that lacks much of the cupped flavor that I read about at nearly all roast levels (prunes, chocolate). There's a little more when roasted well into 2nd crack (rolling, at least), but still has value to tame some of the brighter coffees I have and use in French press. There is no coffee I've ever roasted in recent years that I've had to just throw out-- a testament to finding coffees cupped by capable people, I think.

Ray
LMWDP #18