Un-Cracked (AKA 0% developed) Roasts. Anyone? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Mbb

#21: Post by Mbb »

Ive tried a few purchased very light roasts, with good unique flavors, just annoying to grind by hand. One interesting one i recall was distinctively lemon aftertaste.

Anywhere in 1C is fine to drink, has always been my understanding. From first pop.

With my own roasts, i drink 16 oz cups.....2 on sat/sun mornings. I like acidity muted due to volume i drink so doesnt upset stomach or lower parts. So i normally go about 30 s after 1C ends . But its interesting to try all different levels on same coffee. Easy when you buy 10 lbs at once.

hankua
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by hankua »

There's a roaster in Taipei who supposedly has 0% development and his coffee is AMAZING!

Was there recently and several years ago, his place is called Proworker and has a blog called Cafeworker; along with building a line of coffee roasters called "Cube". A few weeks ago I went with a local roaster who verified pretty much what I heard before, that he dropped coffee before 1st crack. This time my friend Sam said he "just touched first crack". The proprietor Mr. Cheng is a bit secretive with his methods so I can't really say anything constructive concerning them. He has two cafe's, the one we went to you could say was a "throwback" older traditional style, tube amp playing jazz, syphon, pour over, espresso, just the basics.

Mr. Cheng keeps a library of coffee in the fridge and I'm guessing thats what he preps for coffee geeks. I bought a bag of average priced coffee and it was pretty good, but nothing like his special stash. He roasts on the Cube machines and has his own opinions about roasters in general.

Denis

#23: Post by Denis »

I am glad more people are joining this thread. I am curious about some light coffee from the States. Can anyone post 1-2 pictures maybe? If it roasted by you what variety and how much weight loss?

I don't want to transform this topic into a versus, this is not my intention. I am just curious where light coffee/3rd wave is going.

Yes, the picture and the color of the bean don't tell you how roasted a coffee it is. Outside it can look pretty damn roasted and inside is so hard you cannot break it with your teeth.

Neil.Pryde

#24: Post by Neil.Pryde »

Listen to Rob Hoos at the Vienna Coffee Festival this weekend would be a great possibility to improve and increase knowledge.

Denis

#25: Post by Denis »

Thanks, I am not interested in roasting, not now nor in the future. I am going to Vienna Coffee Festival, I got the thickets already.

Why? The answer is simple. I do not have the space for it, I don't want to rent a space. When I do something I try to go all in, no half measures.

I have tried roasting for 1 year. The main problem was you will never get top quality green beans, fresh, like top suppliers/roasters will do. That means that you will never get the quality they do overall. So roasting takes a lot of time, practice, quality green coffee, and for me I wont accept to drink medium roasted coffee on top tech machines (grinder, espresso machine), just because it is satisfying to roast at home. There are to many parameters you cannot control at home (humidity, temperature of the beans when you load them, ambient temperature) correlated with sometimes medium-dry green beans gets you to frustration in therms of taste. And this is not everything, you dont have control on the beans you are buying, you just buy and try. The green coffee for the aroma to stay inside the bean for a long period, they need to be dried slowly (14-30days) not in the direct sun but in the shadow. So again, you are buying green coffee but without trying you dont know what it is.

I dont drink coffee because of the social thing, or because it wakes me up. For me it is all about the taste.

Neil.Pryde

#26: Post by Neil.Pryde »

My green bean storage is charged with 50-100 kilos,from 100€/kilo competition lots to "normal" less priced specialty coffee.....since 15 years.

It's no problem as a hobbyroaster these days getting hands on the best beans available,or do you think,just to name only some of them,the greens JB,Good Karma,Has Bean or Machörndl selling are different than their roasted ones?
A good relationship directly to growers and importers also opens the door and more of them as you may think are selling the minor quantity you need for homeroasting.

So there is no need to spend 40-50€/kilo on roasted specialties when you can get greens for a quarter,having fun and expand your horizon all over the whole materia,and then we can discuss about meaningless things like roast levels,profiles or bean pictures.

BTW,if you want to put a smile on Tim Wendelboe's face ask him what exactly a "Nordic roast" is.....

pngboy

#27: Post by pngboy »

Haha, yeah well said. Thats why I put put "nordic " in quotations :wink:

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#28: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Neil.Pryde wrote:My green bean storage is charged with 50-100 kilos,from 100€/kilo competition lots to "normal" less priced specialty coffee.....since 15 years.

It's no problem as a hobbyroaster these days getting hands on the best beans available,or do you think,just to name only some of them,the greens JB,Good Karma,Has Bean or Machörndl selling are different than their roasted ones?
Neil, if you would post sources in Europe to this thread, I will add them to the list there:

Green Coffee Sources List - 2019
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Aguirre (original poster)

#29: Post by Aguirre (original poster) »

hankua wrote:There's a roaster in Taipei who supposedly has 0% development and his coffee is AMAZING!

Was there recently and several years ago, his place is called Proworker and has a blog called Cafeworker; along with building a line of coffee roasters called "Cube". A few weeks ago I went with a local roaster who verified pretty much what I heard before, that he dropped coffee before 1st crack. This time my friend Sam said he "just touched first crack". The proprietor Mr. Cheng is a bit secretive with his methods so I can't really say anything constructive concerning them. He has two cafe's, the one we went to you could say was a "throwback" older traditional style, tube amp playing jazz, syphon, pour over, espresso, just the basics.

Mr. Cheng keeps a library of coffee in the fridge and I'm guessing thats what he preps for coffee geeks. I bought a bag of average priced coffee and it was pretty good, but nothing like his special stash. He roasts on the Cube machines and has his own opinions about roasters in general.
Now you got me curious!!! How can we get our hands on this special stash?? :)

hankua
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by hankua replying to Aguirre »

Airline ticket and translator :D