Torn on which roaster? (Aillio Bullet, Crop to Cup Arc 800g, Mill City/North 500g) - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#41: Post by baldheadracing »

The "issue" with the bean cooling tray's sweeper arm is you may have to turn it off for less-than-full charges. In order for the sweeper arms to perform as intended, there must be enough beans in the cooling tray to cover all of the tray's vented surface. If the charge isn't large enough, then the sweeper arms are pushing a pile of coffee around while much of the tray is not covered with beans - so nothing cools down. In addition, the cooling tray in commercial machines is often over-sized to accommodate post-roast blending in the cooling tray. As I do not blend in the tray and never use a full charge, I am thinking of removing my cooling arm - the only positive thing it does for me is sweep the coffee into the bag chute.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#42: Post by LBIespresso »

JohnB. wrote:The Cormorant beans also exit from the bottom & the entire drum housing tips up so no strays. Air is pulled down through the cooling tray by the 2 fans & goes out the vent. Even a 600+ gram load will cool down completely in 3 minutes. The Cormorant also offers variable drum speed, a diffuser control & a very slick & effective chaff collector which slides right out of the back for easy cleaning. It also costs less then half of some of the 1 lb roaster options being discussed here.
I love everything about my Cormorant even if I have nothing to compare it to. I just don't feel like the beans cool down to room temp in 3 minutes. Maybe 4? So I still think it's ok, but maybe I am doing something wrong or not doing something.

John, do you stir as they cool? Is there anything else you do? I always roast 450 grams and would love some tips if you have any. And to stay on topic for the thread I will add that the Cormorant works as advertised and I am a happy owner.
LMWDP #580

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by JohnB. replying to LBIespresso »

I do stir the bean load during the initial cooling period. I use a wooden paddle meant for stirring syphon brews.
LMWDP 267

hankua
Supporter ♡

#44: Post by hankua »

I also agree the Cormorant would be a sensible option, it wasn't mentioned in the beginning. What is the current wait time for a new purchase?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by JohnB. replying to hankua »

Typically it's around 6 months.
LMWDP 267

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#46: Post by LBIespresso »

hankua wrote:I also agree the Cormorant would be a sensible option, it wasn't mentioned in the beginning. What is the current wait time for a new purchase?
You can email Johan and ask him johan@cormorantroasters.co.uk

The roaster seems to pick up improvements every once in a while (bigger burner, variable drum speed, larger gas regulator) so if you have to wait at least you might pick up a feature that is not in there yet.
LMWDP #580

CoffeeBasta

#47: Post by CoffeeBasta »

Hello I was recently in a very similar situation myself, I would have chosen the mill city. Their support seems great they have lots of information and even sell geeens at a decent price. The downside for me was the 220 power and the exhaust requirements for that particular roaster. If you have the space and infrastructure I would go for it, the agitation arm should not be a deal breaker, you will need to stir the cooling coffee for 1 minute by hand.
I would have gone mill city but re-wire for 220 15 amps was too much trouble.
I went with a Kaldi Fortis, and I love it! It may not lady forever or be as easy to get support for but is a great for the advanced hobby level.
I don't know if this helped but good luck and happy roasting!

mkane
Supporter ♡

#48: Post by mkane »

All you need is a SUT to go to 220V

DaveWCII

#49: Post by DaveWCII replying to mkane »

Yup, less than $100 US and you're good to go.

Step up transformer