To roasting professionals - 90 minutes to roast espresso? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
[creative nickname]

#11: Post by [creative nickname] »

Enjazlines wrote:Not understand the question
I suspect that you have a variety of factors contributing to you not being able to apply sufficient heat to your beans. 45 minutes to warm up the roaster might indicate that you have underpowered burners. Failure to test calibration could mean that your thermocouples are reading high, so that you think you are applying more heat than you are. And I strongly suspect your roaster is overloaded as well, and that you would get better results with a smaller charge weight of beans.

Once you get things set up properly you should be able to finish a dark roast in less than 15 minutes. Many of my roasts run less than 10 minutes. Your job is to figure out how to get your roaster to apply more heat into the bean mass more quickly, which will be some combination of more heat input and a smaller charge weight.

The last question was how are you deciding when your roast has finished? Is it by a milestone event like end of first cracks, by smell, by color, by a thermometer reading?
LMWDP #435

Enjazlines (original poster)

#12: Post by Enjazlines (original poster) »

[creative nickname] wrote:I suspect that you have a variety of factors contributing to you not being able to apply sufficient heat to your beans. 45 minutes to warm up the roaster might indicate that you have underpowered burners. Failure to test calibration could mean that your thermocouples are reading high, so that you think you are applying more heat than you are. And I strongly suspect your roaster is overloaded as well, and that you would get better results with a smaller charge weight of beans.

Once you get things set up properly you should be able to finish a dark roast in less than 15 minutes. Many of my roasts run less than 10 minutes. Your job is to figure out how to get your roaster to apply more heat into the bean mass more quickly, which will be some combination of more heat input and a smaller charge weight.

For more heat I think I need new gas line under of my roaster machine I will ask for that if possible

The last question was how are you deciding when your roast has finished? Is it by a milestone event like end of first cracks, by smell, by color, by a thermometer reading?

By color after first crack takes approx 5mnt

Marcelnl

#13: Post by Marcelnl »

You also need to consider the weight of green beans you load your roaster with, if that is too high your roast time will increase.
Drum Volume dictates max load of the roaster but your burner needs to be able to keep up with that load or you en up roasting at a lower capacity.
There are/is some rule(s) of thumb that help estimate max weight of green beans for a given volume.

On my Huky 500 (indicating 500g max batch weight) I am using a 50mBar pressure regulator to be able to comfortably roast 400g batches, and I can roast these 400g in under 7 minutes to FC but only just. You roaster appears to be a larger size, Id start calculating drum volume and check it's burner capacity before changing anything, unless it turns out you simply overloaded the thing. If you overloaded I;d first try a smalleer batch size and to stop decreasing batch size only once you hit FC in approx 8 minutes.
LMWDP #483

EddyQ

#14: Post by EddyQ »

What is limiting your airflow? That blower looks pretty big and if there is no restriction, baffle or opening in the duct to help reduce the fan from pulling all the heat away from the roaster, it will. Huge flame and all, if your air is close to sucking up beans then the cold input air will cool off that big flame to the point that it won't roast.
LMWDP #671

SAS
Supporter ❤

#15: Post by SAS »

That blower looks pretty big.
My guess from looking at your photos is that the big strong fan is sucking the heat away from your drum. Also the control valve for the gas going into the burner looks like it was made for a camp stove. You might not even be getting enough heat to the drum even with a fan that is correctly proportional to your system.

Can you post a photo of the burner(s), while lit?
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

Enjazlines (original poster)

#16: Post by Enjazlines (original poster) »