Tips For Safe Use of LP/Gas Roasters In a Residential Setting - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#41: Post by Chert »

The types of valve / TC systems I find online are ODS/pilot light configurations, intended for gas heaters. I would prefer a more simple one like I have seen in the San Francisco sample roaster. It is a pilot light, one can ignite with a button, while holding gas valve open. Once the TC is hot, the valve will stay open unless the pilot flame goes out. I can't find that kind of valve / pilot light to install for my HUKY's open flame burner. But I want one.

Anyone seen such an off the shelf valve assembly?
LMWDP #198

jammin

#42: Post by jammin »

^sounds like a simple water heater thermocouple pilot assembly in conjunction with a piezo style ignitor.

ODS systems are typically for unvented room/space heaters. I'm not sure how they would apply for a ventilated drum roaster.

Chert

#43: Post by Chert »

The application of a pilot light connected to the thermocouple to sense whether there is flame present is common to all three: roaster, ODS - unvented heater, hot water heater. But the valve that is controlled by the thermocouple is different. I can find a thermostate/valve for water heater and a controller valve for gas space heater, but I don't find the valve like the one I saw in the San Francisco sample roaster.
LMWDP #198

Chert

#44: Post by Chert »

Bump. This should be required reading for gas roasting.
LMWDP #198

sandollars

#45: Post by sandollars »

Agreed. I have seen some pretty scary setups out there. Safety should take priority over everything else.
In constant pursuit of the Celestial Bean.