Thoughts on BOCABOCA 250?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
wanderlustjohn

#1: Post by wanderlustjohn » Aug 23, 2017, 9:04 am

Guys,

I just noticed this little kitchen roaster which ships from South Korea. From what little I can gather, it operates on 50Hz 220v, and does not include a transformer for 120v, 60Hz.

Can anyone recommend a 'quality' transformer that will handle the heater element of this little roaster from 220v into 110v?

i was considering the 3000w version of this: https://www.amazon.com/ELC-T-2000-2000- ... 00ER52DMW/

I have OCD. Obsessive Coffee Disorder.

renatoa

#2: Post by renatoa » Aug 23, 2017, 9:26 am

Probably you mean this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOCABOCA-Coffee ... 2295257533

Power is only 450W, would be crazy to embed a 3kW heater in a wooden case...
I would ask them if they have an 110V version, and would be surprised to hear them say no.
Usually these things are designed with two heaters, designed for 110V each.
When delivered for 220V the heaters are connected in series, when delivered for 110V they are connected in parallel. Simple and effective ;) :wink:

mivanitsky
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mivanitsky » Aug 23, 2017, 10:41 am

Introducing 4th crack...

when late in the roast, the wood enclosure bursts into flame, for that authentic wood fire roasted flavor!
★ Helpful

wanderlustjohn

#4: Post by wanderlustjohn » Aug 23, 2017, 10:44 am

renatoa wrote:Power is only 450W, would be crazy to embed a 3kW heater in a wooden case...
Its offered only as a single phase 220v, but I am in the USA, so the wattage would increase with 110v...and I dont wish to embed anything into the case. Just wanted a quality step down transformer that can handle a couple thousand watts, leaving room for overhead above the heating element. I appreciate your reply, ;-)

wanderlustjohn

#5: Post by wanderlustjohn » Aug 23, 2017, 10:46 am

mivanitsky wrote:Introducing 4th crack...

when late in the roast, the wood enclosure bursts into flame, for that authentic wood fire roasted flavor!
AHAHAHA. yeah not sure how anyone thought i wanted to install a 3000 watt transformer INSIDE of a coffee roaster... :shock:

mivanitsky
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mivanitsky » replying to wanderlustjohn » Aug 23, 2017, 11:01 am

I was referring to the roaster itself.

renatoa

#7: Post by renatoa » Aug 23, 2017, 11:59 am

There is no reason to increase wattage for products made for US market, the wattage is the same, because wattage give the amount of heat available.
Same 440W can be obtained in EU as 220V * 2 Amps, and in US as 110V * 4 Amps.

wanderlustjohn

#8: Post by wanderlustjohn » replying to renatoa » Aug 23, 2017, 3:50 pm

i think you did not click on the link in my OP. It is a transformer for the wall to convert my electrical needs from the 220v roaster to my 110v outlet. I selected a larger than necessary 3000 watt transformer to eliminate any load variances. It is NOT a heater, or element, or roasting equipment. HTH.

renatoa

#9: Post by renatoa » Aug 24, 2017, 4:35 am

Checking your link was the first thing I did, but I this is not the kosher path I approach such conversions, and I have some under the belt, especially Behmors and Nescos. I never considered a transformer as an elegant solution.
As I already wrote, I would ask manufacturer first about the heater choice, there is a great chance to be linear halogen bulbs, as those used in projectors, easily changeable to 110V version.

Andreas F

#10: Post by Andreas F » Aug 24, 2017, 4:41 am

I own a 250g BocaBoca as well as a 500g BocaBoca and I love them. I got mine from global.gmarket.co.kr (Korean version of eBay) where BocaBoca roasters can be ordered from the manufacturer. When ordering i was asked if i wanted a 110 or 220volt version. So you should be able to get one that is ready to plug into the wall without any extra stuff. The roasters are beautiful quiet and easy to maintain.