Technique to slow down ROR - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ALfromtheLAND

Postby ALfromtheLAND » Mar 23, 2019, 12:59 pm

Aside from the regular dry end air change I should say,
And a quick increase right before I drop

edpiep

Postby edpiep » Mar 25, 2019, 8:30 pm

If you post a pic of your profile then it would be easier to see the progression. The adjustments you are making seem ok but are only a rough glimpse at the whole picture. The details of charge weight/temp, max gas setting post soak or charge and air settings are all pertinent to how to slow down RoR because we can see the momentum better

Almico
Supporter ♡

Postby Almico » Mar 25, 2019, 10:44 pm

This is a Pacamara from Honduras. It is an extremely crashy coffee. Care must be taken to prevent the pre-1C RoR plateau without making any adjustments +/- 45s from 1C. Note the heat adjustments. No change in air until the very end to prevent a flick.

Birdcollin

Postby Birdcollin » Mar 25, 2019, 11:04 pm

edpiep wrote:If you post a pic of your profile then it would be easier to see the progression. The adjustments you are making seem ok but are only a rough glimpse at the whole picture. The details of charge weight/temp, max gas setting post soak or charge and air settings are all pertinent to how to slow down RoR because we can see the momentum better

I've never posted a pic of a profile. How do you do it?

edpiep

Postby edpiep » Mar 25, 2019, 11:23 pm

Great question: it's kinda hidden but it's right below the post box, next to the "options" button. Here is a screen grab of it, it says "images".

Use the "place inline" button to add where your text bar is blinking.

edpiep

Postby edpiep » Mar 25, 2019, 11:28 pm

Alan, that profile looks nice, how does it taste in the cup as a light roast in your opinion?

pcofftenyo

Postby pcofftenyo » Mar 26, 2019, 10:07 am

Alan,
Pacamara's are indeed tricky to roast IME. I've been trying to hone my skills on crashy roasts and that's one of my crashiest, so its a test-bed. When right a Paca its a very likeable but unusual cup. Do you also notice that 1C is reticent and it can roll into 2C pretty quickly?

Interesting to me is that you ride what a pretty stout fan setting throughout with what are essentially 25% gas changes, albeit at the low end of the range.

Almico
Supporter ♡

Postby Almico » replying to pcofftenyo » Mar 26, 2019, 11:28 am

This particular Pacamara played tricks on me from the beginning. It tastes great at Agtron 75-80 and 50-55. It is completely tasteless from 60-70. The lighter profile outshines the darker, so I don't get near 2C.

I really don't do anything with air yet. The 50% damper setting represents maximum heat transfer and is the lowest setting that vacuates the chaff.