TC4 Shields Available - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
markba633csi

#21: Post by markba633csi »

Question: why is the zero cross detect needed as a separate piece of circuitry? Aren't most all solid state relays equipped with zero cross optocouplers internally?
Mark S.

greencardigan (original poster)

#22: Post by greencardigan (original poster) »

The zero cross detector is used for doing phase angle control modes with a random fire (instantaneous fire) SSR.

The Arduino needs to know when the zero cross event occurs so it can then switch power on at a certain number of milliseconds later depending on the required power output power.

Elfmaze

#23: Post by Elfmaze »

I am using an AC fan, leaf blower motor. I was planning on manually controlling it esp as the ZCD is currently out of stock. Is this something that can be added later?

I have a display for arduino... don't know if it can work or not. I need to do some learning on it.

greencardigan (original poster)

#24: Post by greencardigan (original poster) »

As long as you have speed control of your motor. A ZCD and SSR can be added later. It may just require changing the mode used in the TC4 sketch depending on what you already have on it.

I should be building more ZCD's on the weekend hopefully.

You can potential use the LCD as is by connecting all the required pins to the arduino but I have not actually confirmed if that still works with the TC4 sketches. I'd recommend getting an LCD with an I2C interface. It will make the connection much simpler.