TC4 + HTC roast controller for Hottop available - Page 17

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BarryR

#161: Post by BarryR »

There are many different solutions. I did my modification just over a year ago and spent weeks coming up with what I thought was the best solution.
If you search for my post you'll find all the details you need. There are other ways to do this but (though I may be biased) I'm very pleased with the approach I took.

That said, if I were doing it today, I'd consider the official Hottop upgrade from B2K to B2K + even though it's pricier.

dcoplan

#162: Post by dcoplan »

Barry,

I've tried following other threads over at homeroasters.org but I'm guessing you need to be a member to read because I always end up just getting the home page. If it's not too much trouble, can you duplicate that thread here? If not, I can sign up over there - I just try to avoid signing up for too much stuff. It gets overwhelming really quick.

Question: Knowing what you know now and if someone posted "just get these parts" so you wouldn't have to go through weeks of research, would you still lean towards the more expensive HT upgrade or go the DIY route?

I'm happy doing DIY, learning something new along the way, and saving $$ but I'm at the stage where you were, spending literally hours upon hours sifting through information trying to come up with the "proper" solution. This is the part that has me bordering on "screw it - spending the extra money will save me a ton of time and hassle".

I understand there are numerous options. I just wish someone would dumb it down such as...

Option 1 - More expensive but easy to install. May give low readings. Get these TC's with these specific dimensions (Omega XCIB??) and these parts to secure in place.

Option 2 - Moderately priced, medium install difficulty, more accurate readings. Get these TC's with these specific dimensions and these parts to secure in place.

Option 3 - Least expensive, blah blah blah...

And totally fair to add disclaimers like measuring and fitting, etc. to make sure the above suggestions will work but at least that would put the info in one nice container and take a whole lot of guess work out of the process.

To be fair and appreciative, yes, there's a LOT of info out there and many people have gone to a lot of trouble to post very detailed info. For that, I'm very thankful, but for those of us to whom all this is completely new, it's terribly confusing and frustrating and suggestions to "just keep researching" only fuel the confusion and frustration.

I know I'll get there and when all is said and done, it will make a whole lot more sense but this part of the journey really isn't fun and everything else I should be doing is taking a back seat to me staring at the computer, clicking and reading endlessly.

Advertisement
dcoplan

#163: Post by dcoplan »

Ok, so I couldn't wait and just went ahead and signed up with homeroasters.org.

YES! Barry - thank you. While there may be several ways of pursuing TC installation, you've provided a great service by detailing exactly how you did it, with pics, and including exactly what parts are needed and from what sources. For anyone else looking for this the link is...

http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/vie ... post_53557

But apparently you have to be a member of that forum because otherwise this link will just take you to the forum homepage and not the article itself.

Dan

turtle

#164: Post by turtle »

If you have a K model (K-type thermocouple) you can order the backing plate for the + roaster (just the rear chamber wall)

http://hottopusa.com/Merchant2/merchant ... re_Code=HU

This will get your holes pre=drilled for the BT and ET probes.

I did my BT/ET update a few years ago and drilled the original B (button) type backing plate.

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

dcoplan

#165: Post by dcoplan »

I'm diggin' those switches below the control panel. What do they do?

What are your recommendations for what I should use to drill the holes? I have an electric hand drill and some old bits but no idea if they're suitable for drilling through the plate or not. I'll pick up whatever I need, could just use some advice on this. Hand drill ok or do I need to find someone with a drill press?