Tasting Diedrich's Slow Start/Fast Finish Roast Profile - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jammers

#11: Post by Jammers »

"Bob thinks it may particularly shine for island coffees, which have lots of sweetness in any case, and where there are very interesting malty and sherry tastes to be had early in the roast. I also think it might do wonders for Sumatra, which are also about wood and forest flavors. Finally, great Kenyas have a hint demi-glace, they are not about sweetness, but complexity, so emphasizing the Maillard flavors might bring out something spectacular."

For me, this is the key. Different roasts for different coffees! I'm only just beginning to discover this, but it's really improving my roasting to employ both profiles for different coffees. Jim, the mention of Maillard vs caramel makes so much sense of my roasts it's crazy!
"My body remained in this armchair and, I regret to observe, consumed in my absence two large pots of coffee."."

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Thank Bob, he did the work.
Jim Schulman

Sherman

#13: Post by Sherman »

Another data point: I've been roasting side-by-side 350g roasts of a 2010 DP Sidamo, comparing my normal espresso profile against Diedrich. Happily, I'm discovering that the HG/BM is quite capable of recreating either profile.

Normal:
00:00 dropin
02:00 245F
05:15 295F
08:30 395F - 1C
12:30 430F - just before 2C, FC roast.

Diedrich:
00:00 dropin
02:00 245F
05:15 295F
12:30 395F - 1C
14:45 428F - just before 2C, FC again.

Now for the tasting - starting at 3 days' rest, I pulled 15.5g normales on the Cremina and alternated pairs of shots. No double-blind, but I did notice a significant increase in savory, malty notes. In concert with another_jim's reports, I didn't perceive any loss in acidity, and each roast WAS easily discernable. Unfortunately, I don't have a second Cremina with which to run paired, simultaneous shots. Initial results were encouraging enough to continue exploring the profiles.

If anyone wants to donate another old Cremina, I'll be happy to run the pair. I've got a Lazy Susan, and can spin it and turn my back with the best of 'em :D.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

Gismar

#14: Post by Gismar »

For the folks that is roasting on the Diedrich roaster. Here is a link to some info about profiling on a diedrich, this is Stephan Diedrich explaining how he develop profiles. I do recommend everyone to check it out. On the audio and the transcript, Carl Staub also has a very interesting lecture.

Handouts:
http://slk020.liberty3.net/SCAA/gateway ... resboxno=0

Transcript:

This is an audio of the "How to obtain excellence with drum roasters" Lee, Torrey / Diedrich, Stephan Staub, Carl Newall, Jack