Tasting coffee from Atitlan Guatemala of San Lucas Toliman Juan Ana Coffee - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

The coffee seems to be opening up and I'm noticing more flavors today after five days of rest compared to 1 - 3 days.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#12: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I got some of this coffee from Flint and roasted it up. He also sent some that he had roasted. I think I roasted mine a tad less dark than his, and I am waiting to here how he compares them since he is way more familiar with the coffee. I feel like this coffee is similar to the Guatemala Candelaria that I get from Genuine Origin. For my wife the chief taster, the coffee, starts with sweet nut like walnut and a bit of chocolate, then the brightness kicked in with long finish - kumquat maybe, tart with sweetness. Definitely the one we roasted being more bright than Flint's. That all said I would highly recommend this if all you need is 10lbs. If you wanted the 50lbs, then I would get a sample of Candelaria and compare, although GO is now sold out for the year.

In my roasting I used my standard approach but the gas dip before FC backfired. You can see when I raised the gas back up from 1.0kpa to 1.3 it created a bump and small crash. I would have to adjust that if I roasted more of it. Even with that, we really enjoyed this coffee this morning on 5 days rest.

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Chert (original poster)

#13: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I pulled the coffee Michael roasted for my comparison at 0630 here in eastern Washington. I get a kick out of sharing a roast, states apart, same post roast hour. That 20% development works for me. The one I sent did go a little longer. I get a nutty start that I first thought might be a bit raw, but not the underdevelopment I've done with this coffee before, but that was a fleeting impression, and very quickly lost in the sweetness and mild fruit complexity that came after. I think I will like it even more when I drink another shot of it after two days more rest.

I like that profile and the bling you put into the graphic. I notice your EOD is hotter than mine, just as I've been thinking I need to make sure I am marking EOD correctly. But I think I mark mine at 150 C ( about 300 F) perhaps a bit late.

Here is a map to include 4 + delicious coffee growing areas in Guatemala. I think Candelaria is in Acatenango. [ No; [EDIT] despite finding Finca Candelaria Cafetelones in Acatenango with google search, see below that the Candelaria Michael is roasting is a Huehuetenango origin.]
LMWDP #198

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#14: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I am not fanatic about my EOD. It could be a few degrees off and I have a symbolic set to hit FC around 390. Without it I am likely 300-303. Here is the info on the Candelaria from last year. Artisan allows background images. I have this one on my PC that I use for analysis. I roast on a Mac with a different background image. You can turn the background image off while roasting so as to not distract. Yeah thanks, I like that old art work shot I did of one of my espressos.

Artisan.Plus User-

Chert (original poster)

#15: Post by Chert (original poster) »

That goes to show how worthless google can be to find the location where a coffee is grown... or maybe how poor my web search skills are. I will correct the origin in my post above.
LMWDP #198

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

Pulled shots of the 2nd and 3rd roasts this morning after almost two weeks rest. I could go with CBB's kumquat flavor note, yellow stone fruit at least, but much lighter than my first sample batch that I picked apricot for.

I'm hoping to get more of the apricot in future roasts.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Chert (original poster)

#17: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Thanks to CBB I am enjoying a comparison of blinded testing my roast versus his. First round, his lighter take achieved more of a fruity complexity tasted as espresso and americano. Here is a lglimpse at my blinding technique: Doses weighed, then assigned the correct cup to march through the extraction and tasting prior to unblinded. A fun, tasty and educational exercise.

LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#18: Post by Chert (original poster) »

CareFreeBuzzBuzz roast delivered more of the fruit possible in this coffee. In that manner I went through those samples blinded and the slight edge in flavor went to his version.

I did these two roasts last week maximizing the batch size on my Huky and was pretty pleased with the result. The 12 minute roasts proves to me that I don't want a 14 minute roast from cool start with the Huky and that a 12 minute high charge mass roast can work out well. The second roast tastes better as espresso than the first.

LMWDP #198

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#19: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Thanks for the shoutout Flint. Interesting that your 14 min roasts is less desirable. I tend to be under 12 minutes, even for what we use as espresso. Does this mean you will be changing batch sizes as a matter of course?
Artisan.Plus User-

Chert (original poster)

#20: Post by Chert (original poster) »

No; I prefer 360-390 g, but sometimes for efficiency to complete one lb, I would like to have some confidence of the largest possible HUKy batch size. That's why I was exploring with the two roasts. That is an example where a well heated roaster is needed. starting cool and early high heat did not result in a desirable roast.
LMWDP #198