Taking the leap, sample roaster for home roasting

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
myz32300ztt

#1: Post by myz32300ztt »

First, Hello! I am a new member to the forum however I've been reading through various posts as I'm doing my research for a new home roaster.

Currently I'm using a Behmor, but its getting tired quickly (taking 25 min to roast plus cooling period) and we're prepared to make the jump into a more commercial sized roaster, as our own consumption has over taken what the behmor can do in a reasonable time, as well as i'm hoping to start down the path of craft roasting Kona and some other kinds for local shops.

I'd like to get everyone's opinion/advice on what roaster to get. I've been eyeing the Arc Roaster from crop to cup, as well as a couple from Alibaba and will suffer during the wait period to get it. I've seen some used ones on the market, but nothing in my size/budget of any value.

Budget: Around $4000 USD
Capacity: Typically I do 1 lb green now, i don't foresee ever doing smaller than that quantity
Heat: Gas or Electric, no preference
Quality: one of the most important things to me!

Thanks ahead of time!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

The Aillio Bullet V2 roaster is in stock at Sweet Maria's right now. Not sure how long it will take for them to sell their stock, when I bought mine the stock was gone within hours.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/aillio-bull ... aster.html
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I am a big fan of my Mill City Roasters 500gram. I regularly charge it at 540 grams to yield a pound.

Has variable air and drum speed.

Current price is $4,400, so you are well over $5 with tax and shipping.

Bullet is another good choice but check out the Bullet forum first.

BC roasters in AZ is another possibility.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

myz32300ztt

#4: Post by myz32300ztt »

yakster wrote:The Aillio Bullet V2 roaster is in stock at Sweet Maria's right now. Not sure how long it will take for them to sell their stock, when I bought mine the stock was gone within hours.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/aillio-bull ... aster.html

For real!! I did a bunch of research on those before they released, and wanted one, but money issues got in the way then. I didnt realize they have them in stock! I just put my order in! That was easy haha!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

Congrats, I think you'll like it. It took me a bit to get used to the Bullet after the Behmor but I'm pretty happy with it now. I saw an announcement yesterday on Instagram from Sweet Maria's that they'd go on sale today at 11:00 and it was in the back of my mind when I read this thread.

You'll also be getting the V2 with the new power supply board as well as the IR sensor. (which was introduced in V1.5)
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

myz32300ztt

#6: Post by myz32300ztt »

I'm pretty pumped!
  • How's the venting on it? My behmor I use in my dining room now, but the house smokes up depending what I'm roasting. I was going to do a hood/blower to outside for a larger unit when i get it.

What software do you use?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

The Bullet can produce a lot of smoke, especially at larger batches. There's a 3D printer file for an exhaust adapter to connect the rectangular exhaust port to a 3" or 4" vent pipe, but Aillio doesn't necessarily recommend using this depending on your setup. I have a range hood over my roasting bench that's vented out over my garage door and I made a down pipe vent that connects where the range hood filter would clip in and use flexible metal vent pipe and it rests above the rectangular exhaust hood. This does a good job of venting smoke without the range hood fan affecting the roaster airflow. If I had it directly connected with the adapter then that would be an issue, but if I just had a passive vent without a fan it might be better with the adapter.

Check out the Facebook group and the https://community.roast.world site for more ideas and info.

I'm using the RoasTime software from Aillio to track my roasts. Not sure what firmware and software versions I'm running currently.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Bmccall

#9: Post by Bmccall »

Congrats on the purchase. Let us know how you like the bullet.