Sweet Maria's Green Coffee Sample

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Ron

#1: Post by Ron »

It looked like the sample pack was aimed at someone just getting started roasting, but I just went for an 8 pound sample pack even though I've been home roasting for several decades. There are positives and negatives even for home roasters with experience. The positives, based on my random first sample of Kenya Kiambu Peaberry: excellent coffee, one of the best espressos I've had, seven more samples to go. The negatives: if I want more it's out of stock and the samples seem to be made up of coffees in short supply that can't be sold in larger quantities, so I got one pound of each one. But, I can keep the name in mind and see if it shows up in the future. In the meantime, I got 8 lbs. of decent beans, judging by what I tried so far. An interesting alternative to choosing 8 lbs. of one variety.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I got their Box of Chocolates a while back. On that one they had them still in stock but I roasted and tasted asap so we could pick one. Now what I do is make my own sample pack believing I will choose one and order more while still in stock. It is fun to explore.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by TenLayers »

Before the Virus, in their retail section of the warehouse they had a large basket filled with free bags of green coffee. Random bags of stuff, samples that had come in or things they rejected? Never was sure. Some were outstanding but of course they were one offs, you couldn't go back and find another. Some weren't so good so eventually I stayed with the buy what you know model.

wachuko

#4: Post by wachuko »

Way back when I was trying roasting for the first time, I also ordered their sampler... nothing was along the lines of an Italian style espresso...

Since you guys seem to be ordering more from them... do you know if they have something along that line?

I probably should just give them a call...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

GC7

#5: Post by GC7 replying to wachuko »

This is their pre-mixed newest version of Italian Espresso blends. I have not tried the new version.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/sweet-maria ... resso.html

Ron (original poster)

#6: Post by Ron (original poster) »

I got the "good for espresso" green bean variety in the 8 lb. size. They have both espresso and regular in both 4 lb. and 8 lb. 8 lb. will last me a while and I can try something different every few days.

wachuko

#7: Post by wachuko »

GC7 wrote:This is their pre-mixed newest version of Italian Espresso blends. I have not tried the new version.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/sweet-maria ... resso.html
The review from years back (2009) was not that great... I wonder how much they have changed the blend since...

Sweet Maria's New Classic Espresso Blend
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Ron (original poster)

#8: Post by Ron (original poster) »

I'm mainly interested in specific varieties, like the Kenyan Kiambu I tried. Among the 8 there are also coffees from Burundi, Rwanda, and Guatemala, plus an Ethiopian blend and three other blends with no geographical name. I'll probably try the single country varieties first. Anyway, it's kind of a interesting exercise to try so many. I get bored with the same coffees even if I really like them.