Fresh Roast SR800 - 1/2 lb Air Roaster - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Nunas »

Any chance of a photo of the extender?

GregoryJ (original poster)

#22: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

Here is a short video to show the difference between the stock chamber and the extended chamber. (It is a separate chamber to replace the stock one). In the video, the beans hardly move in the stock chamber, but during an actual roast they start to move better after ~45-60 secs of drying.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by Nunas »

Thanks for posting the video. Two observations come to mind. First, I didn't appreciate that this roast chamber is not an extention to the stock one, but actually replaces it. Second, wow, what a difference in bean movement.

#24: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

Yes, I can see why Fresh Roast made a wider chamber instead of a ridiculously tall one for safety reasons, but the wider chamber really has lackluster bean movement. And you cannot leave the fan speed maxed out the entire roast, you get to a point where you have to reduce the fan speed in order to raise the temperature. With the extended one, the fan speed and temperature are more decoupled. My first roasts have still only rested for 3 days, so I don't know if the extra control actually makes for a better tasting coffee.

Shuka

#25: Post by Shuka »

I got the extension chamber (which fits into the old SR chamber) a couple months ago, and have been very pleased with it. 7 oz roasts, much better uniformity in the roasts for single origin. I think it's maybe a bit longer to get to darker roasts,but I'm not sure about this.

I think it is available at a few places including Sweet Maria's and Burman Coffee Traders (where I got mine). Photos there...Highly recommended for those with the older SRs.
Good morning, Sunshine!

elorest

#26: Post by elorest »

What size did you get? I found on ectsy that they had 3 different sizes with only the tallest in stock.

#27: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) replying to elorest »

I got the 9.5". I think they have been selling a lot and they are trying to restock now.

fafow72

#28: Post by fafow72 »

I ordered the 12" tube from him yesterday. He said he just got a shipment of tubes in yesterday. Regarding the height of the tubes, he is now recommending that you buy a titration stand for support of the tube. The OD of the tube is 80mm. I'm hoping the 80mm retort ring won't be too tight. If it is, then have to go with the 100mm ring. I have an SR500 with the extension tube that fits in the oem chamber. I get so much bean activity with that tube that I end up with maybe 10 to 15 beans in the chaff collector and/or stuck in the fins of the collector. It is really frustrating. I'm expecting that this 12" tube will allow me to use the fan as I would like and not end up with a bunch of beans in the collector. I'm also hoping I can roast 230 to 250 grams per roast. That would match the weight I usually roast in my Gene Cafe.

#29: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

I tested out the ridiculously tall 12" roast chamber today. It was pretty fun, and I didn't have to worry about beans flying into the chaff collector anymore :) By the end of the roast, I was at fan speed 1 and it was still almost too strong!

downy_ball

#30: Post by downy_ball replying to GregoryJ »

Omg that's awesome! I have the 9 inch model on its way to me for my SR540 and can't wait. How many grams of beans did you use and which technique (fan/heat/time) did you use? And the results?
Next time someone's teaching, why don't you get taught..."