Fresh Roast SR800 - 1/2 lb Air Roaster - Page 12

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hercdeisel

#111: Post by hercdeisel »

IIRC on the Fresh Roast facebook group, set ups like these popped up somewhat regularly:

https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Support-Re ... B07KJG4Z85

I think you can get a stand and ring for $30-40 it looks like

That kind of setup also appeared in this thread: Fresh Roast SR800 - 1/2 lb Air Roaster

fliz

#112: Post by fliz »

..a tube w/ 400f air blowing through it.

Google "beaker chain" and see if that's less klunky to you than the picture in this thread.

as for cheaper than a ringstand, I don't know. It's got to be heavy. What's heavy, not klunky, and under $20?

https://www.amazon.com/American-Educati ... 00657P0MA/

This is $20, cast iron, and steel. I don't know how to beat that.

MikeTheBlueCow

#113: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

For any of the clamp options, wouldn't it be necessary to have something that is easy to unclamp? Since you have to lift the tube in order to dump the beans out, and will want to do this fairly quickly, without it being clumsy.

MNate

#114: Post by MNate »

I've done a few more roasts and I'm really still learning. (12" roast chamber and Phidget probes placed in lid and just above the bean mass - wish that one could be two inches lower). Random thoughts:

1. I adjust the fan just to keep the bean mass rolling, turning it down when it jumps too high. But each notch turning it down drops the RoR too, so turning the heat up one notch compensates ok.

2. I had started by roasting an espresso blend from a green supplier... it turned out fine but I had a difficult time hearing first crack and second crack clearly. When I changed to some different single origins it really helped me hear it. I think if I had it to do over again I'd look for a bean known for good noise and just roast that for a number of attempts.

3. Trying to get a steadily decreasing RoR I found I was decreasing too much such that into first crack I was already down to about 5/min. So today I tried going a lot faster at the beginning - keeping the heat at 9 most of the way through the roast and just stepping down the fan as needed. This actually worked ok from a graph perspective but not from a results perspective as the last bean I tried, a Costa Rican, showed a few roast defects from too high a heat. Looking back more closely the Colombian had a just a few too but the Brazil didn't. Guess I'll have to go slower.

4. I do think I'll get a ring to hold the tube. That's why I had been turning the fan down, to control the jumping which controlled any wobble in the 12" tube but what's the point of a 12" tube if I can't use the whole chamber? So I'll see what I come up with.

That's all. It's going ok... I don't really want to share a graph yet though! Well... I guess I could. Here's the too high heat Colombian. I have trouble knowing when to call first crack over. And I'll have to do some with different drop temps once I get a bit more consistent because I don't know when to drop either... usually just do it when I get in trouble!

GregoryJ (original poster)

#115: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

MikeTheBlueCow wrote:For any of the clamp options, wouldn't it be necessary to have something that is easy to unclamp? Since you have to lift the tube in order to dump the beans out, and will want to do this fairly quickly, without it being clumsy.
Mike, that was my thinking too, and is the main reason I have been using the 12" tube without any kind of extra support.

RobertL

#116: Post by RobertL »

Fresh roast has released their own extension tube for the SR800.

https://homeroastingsupplies.com/shop/o ... nsion-tube

MNate

#117: Post by MNate »

GregoryJ wrote:Mike, that was my thinking too, and is the main reason I have been using the 12" tube without any kind of extra support.
I finally built a stand to support the 12" tube. Thought I could just use spare things I had around (spare. Urging board base, 1" pipe and old board) I especially like having the stand be large enough that I can just set the chaff collector on it when I remove the tube since I have a thermocouple hanging down the middle. I cut the hole in the board with a jigsaw after tracing the top of the tube, giving me a nice extra bit of room.

I think it works well! I recommend something like this.

GregoryJ (original poster)

#118: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

Very cool!

Laura

#119: Post by Laura »

RobertL wrote:Fresh roast has released their own extension tube for the SR800.

https://homeroastingsupplies.com/shop/o ... nsion-tube
By all reports so far, this is a lot more stable in the roaster than the standalone roast chambers from RazzoRoast. But the RR chaff extender is still the bomb. Actually, his roast chambers are as well, but I feel some things could be done to give them better support to the base. Something like a soft silicone gasket that fills the gap between the roast chamber and the lip of the heater/fan part.

MikeTheBlueCow

#120: Post by MikeTheBlueCow »

MNate wrote:I finally built a stand to support the 12" tube. Thought I could just use spare things I had around (spare. Urging board base, 1" pipe and old board) I especially like having the stand be large enough that I can just set the chaff collector on it when I remove the tube since I have a thermocouple hanging down the middle. I cut the hole in the board with a jigsaw after tracing the top of the tube, giving me a nice extra bit of room.

I think it works well! I recommend something like this.
Absolutely great concept for a stand. I love the added ability to organize cables and attach the phidgets. I actually have the SR700 with an extension (not as tall) but would love to create a similar stand for the same conveniences that you've displayed. I also recently cleaned my roaster and there was chaff in the heating element, which is a fire hazard and extremely alarming. I cleaned it because the roaster had developed a habit of shutting down on me mid-roast, thanks to the safety mechanism from it over heating. I now plan to expand on your design and create a base on the stand that will include a screen to prevent air from going into the roaster's base.