Rwanda: Spices and roast level relationship

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
day

#1: Post by day »

Hi. I roasted a single 113g batch of Rwandan a few weeks ago. When I cupped it amongst seven other coffees and various origins, it really jumped out on the table. It had a very distinct and wonderful spicy aroma and flavor, wanted to call it nutmeg but it's probably just my lack of spice knowledge. I know i recognized it but I can't recall the particular spice. i gave away half and only had two batches to brew after cupping. I did not get the spice when brewed it, a bit of acidity, maybe a hint of something vaguely of that spice but I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't cupped it.

I got another pound of it to do four batches and want to better understand, what causes such spicy flavors? Anyone know if it is something that would be more prominent in a very light roast, something that develops early on as the compounds are roasting but then burns out in a darker roast, or something that would hold up well approaching second crack if properly developed?

I understand each bean is unique, but this appears to be a common trait of good Rwandan, and I would love to better understand how it develops without just stabbing at it blindly:/
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

day wrote:...I got another pound of it to do four batches and want to better understand, what causes such spicy flavors?
Tough questions all. Considering that finished coffee has an estimated 600-1000 compounds (depends whom you read), that is difficult to determine.
Anyone know if it is something that would be more prominent in a very light roast, something that develops early on as the compounds are roasting but then burns out in a darker roast, or something that would hold up well approaching second crack if properly developed?
Very light roasts? Can't help you. I can tell you that I take most Rwandans about 2:15-2:20 into first and drop. I have on several occasions caught spices. Love to drill down on those spices with my cupping partner Serena and see if we can name them -- difficult at times till one of us names it and the other goes, "Right! That's it." Sometimes, they are just an "East Indian Spice Market."

Do know that if I take the very same bean with spices onto the cusp of 2nd crack but not into it, they do a hiding act.
I understand each bean is unique, but this appears to be a common trait of good Rwandan...
Common? Yes and no. For the last two years, Rwandans have been fantastic on our tables, both with and without spices. Come next year? We will just have to wait and see.
-----
LMWDP #339

day (original poster)

#3: Post by day (original poster) »

I really appreciate you taking the time Dave, I will try to keep it off the sc start then. Sounds like my plan for Now will be to keep the same percentages of development, but drop one just after fc one about 7or so degree shy of sc and one in the middle, then see if I can make an adjustment from there to bring this guy out of hiding!
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

rgrosz

#4: Post by rgrosz »

Boldjava wrote:Very light roasts? Can't help you. I can tell you that I take most Rwandans about 2:15-2:20 into first and drop. I have on several occasions caught spices. Love to drill down on those spices with my cupping partner Serena and see if we can name them -- difficult at times till one of us names it and the other goes, "Right! That's it." Sometimes, they are just an "East Indian Spice Market."

Common? Yes and no. For the last two years, Rwandans have been fantastic on our tables, both with and without spices. Come next year? We will just have to wait and see.
I have really enjoyed Rwanda coffee in recent years. I got my best results by dropping at 2:15 into first crack.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee