Sous-Vide Coffee Roasting - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Feb 08, 2019, 11:51 pm

EddyQ wrote:For all-grain beer brewing, there is a mash process which entails holding wet, cracked malted grain at 63-68C for long periods of time. This process allows the seeds enzymes to break down complex sugars (starches) to sugars. Could doing a sous-vide to green coffee be almost doing something similar? The seed is not malted, cracked or wet. So I cannot see it being as efficient.

My question would be wether patio drying or kiln drying would inactivate those enzymes necessary to cause any of those conversions. I'm fairly confident it would.

If you could germinate post-processed coffee in parchment, then maybe. Otherwise, it's likely that you're evening the heat in the center of the bean and making for a more even roast of the whole bean, making it more soluble for a given roast color.

EddyQ

Postby EddyQ » Feb 08, 2019, 11:59 pm

TomC wrote:If you could germinate post-processed coffee in parchment, then maybe.

Right. Effectively malting.

Marcelnl

Postby Marcelnl » Feb 09, 2019, 2:41 pm

I just had 400g of Nicaraguan in the Sous Vide for over 4 hours at 60'C and they are cooling back to room temp now. If anything happens other than what a different charge temp would do I should be picking it up (unless I both either of the two batches)

the roast of the sous vide batch 'felt' a bit less crashy, should have chosen another bean that is less prone to crashing perhaps and it looked as if the beans expanded earlier than usual....we'll know more tomorrow. From the identical TP temp I'd say that the start temp was the same.
LMWDP #483

crunchybean

Postby crunchybean » Feb 10, 2019, 3:08 pm

Both of them are basically restarting the beans natural germinating process. By doing so create more molecules and compounds that the seed feed on to grow. By halting the process you are making these things but for your own cup. 60C seems way to hot. I would try 43-50c max. Also I think it would be in good measure and a health concern to make sure the green beans being used are "clean".

Marcelnl

Postby Marcelnl » Feb 11, 2019, 3:51 pm

back to topic; I'm witholding a verdict as my initial sniffing test tells me the differences are small and I think I should wait some days before tasting.

I was not aiming at wet mashing, but at putting in energy by Sous Vide, seeing if energy up front does something or not under the hypothesis it will not.
Mashing greens is for someone else to test :mrgreen:
LMWDP #483