Some pix from the Artisan Meetup #1

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
fransg

Postby fransg » Jun 24, 2018, 6:45 am

Marko Luther presented a history of the Artisan software, also explaining what will come in the (near) future -- Artisan +

The open discourse stimulated other roasters present to also share much 'inside information'.

An extra attraction of course was the location, at the roastery/vintage espresso machine workshop of Arnoud & Roland.

MaKoMo

Postby MaKoMo » Jun 26, 2018, 8:57 am

This first Artisan MeetUp was an absolute mystic experience! Everybody learned a lot, even on how you should really roast and blend robusta;)

Thanks Frans for sharing those pics and organising the food and drinks! Grande!

You might spot a lot of well-known "alternative" coffee-makers on the pics like the Gabor (naked-portafilter; pencil tampers, lever pressure kits, ROASTED short films,..), Jan and Tije (cheap fluid bed roaster), Wouter Strietman (CT1/ES3) and others.

The amazing location is owned by Arnoud and Roland of the Vintage Espresso Machines, Amsterdam, who were so kind to host the event.

A very joyful evening. Thanks to all attendees,
Marko

Chert

Postby Chert » Jun 29, 2018, 12:28 pm

MaKoMo wrote: even on how you should really roast and blend robusta;)

Thanks for sharing and for all you do.

Marko, please elaborate on this. Or perhaps even suggest a link, (kaffeenetz - ich kann Deutsch) I just received a windfall of awarding winning robusta, that I wish to roast (and blend) well.
Abolish single use plastics.

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Jun 29, 2018, 5:39 pm

That looks like it was a terrific event with an interesting group and wonderful vintage machines. Can anyone who was there help us put names to faces and gear?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

dragoic1

Postby dragoic1 » Jun 29, 2018, 5:52 pm

where's the coffee . I can't see any coffee ?

fransg

Postby fransg » replying to dragoic1 » Jul 01, 2018, 3:31 am

It was an evening event. I did bring some Costa Rica roast of mine and a few shots were made back in the workshop for those who like to drink coffee in the evening but I did not take pictures of that (I published videos of espresso made in that workshop sometime ago). The roastery had just roasted beans too but these were too fresh.

MaKoMo

Postby MaKoMo » Jul 03, 2018, 5:21 am

drgary wrote:That looks like it was a terrific event with an interesting group and wonderful vintage machines. Can anyone who was there help us put names to faces and gear?

Let me give this a try. I don't know enough of those machines to identify all of them. So I let this for someone else. What I know is that most of them are from Faema. I saw some Presidents, Uranias, an unrestored rare Tartaruga, one of those rare wall-mounted machines, and a lot more.

Regarding the faces, we have

All very nice and bright people. Frans, the famous coffee blogger and photographer took all these beautiful images and thus does not appear on any of them. So I add one of mine here that shows Frans (on the right) talking with Roland at the gate of this funny place.

Some more people were around, but I am not able to reliable identify them. Thus I also leave this to others.
★ Helpful

MaKoMo

Postby MaKoMo » Jul 03, 2018, 5:27 am

Chert wrote:Thanks for sharing and for all you do.

Marko, please elaborate on this. Or perhaps even suggest a link, (kaffenetz? ich kann Deutsch.) I just received a windfall of awarding winning robusta, that I wish to roast (and blend) well.

Oh, if remember well, this discussion was about blending coffees for espresso in general and me struggling to roast robusta without that rubbery taste. Arnould explained us his approach. He just roasts the robusta (only quality washed-beans worked for him) and keeps them resting for quite some time after roasting in half-closed containers until they get really oily. At that point he roasts the other components fresh and mixes them with the (aged) robusta in the cooling bin. That way he gets a very smooth blend without any rubber taste.

The ageing of robust before adding the beans to an espresso blend is what I heard also once for an Italian roast master. So it might just work, thus I will try this out myself.
★ Helpful

drgary
Team HB

Postby drgary » Jul 03, 2018, 2:01 pm

Marko,

Thanks for these posts. I'm going to start a new thread on blending of aged Robusta so others can find it and experiment too. Here's that new thread:

How to roast and blend Robusta for espresso
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!